How Bad Is Sodium Bentonite Litter Really?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are a lot of websites with scary stories about clay litter and how you should never use it, but how bad is it really? Sometimes I feel like the concerns are a bit far fetched. Plus even people like Dr. Pierson promote the use of clay litter on their website.

And how do we know that wood based or wheat/corn litters are much better?

I’m really curious because I’m deciding between wood and clay litter right now (can’t do litter made from food, my cat will eat it).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, also, would a clumping wood litter be just as bad since it could then also clump in the tummy if ingested?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, bottom line, if your cat is experiencing any kind of upper respiratory issues, overly watery eyes or any other allergic reactions, it's either food, litter or other environmental thing(s). I didn't like the idea of breathing litter dust either, even when pouring clean litter out of the container so I made adjustments that still include some sb but also corncob (be sure it's made from the cob) litter. In the end it's up to you and what you see happening, or not, with your cat(s) and household. Edit, I don't know about wood but others here have experience/knowledge. I probably wouldn't use wood unless you know absolutely where it's come from and whether it has been exposed to any chemical processes.