How and What do you feed Your cats?

elysiannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one male cat developed FUS and the Vet said it was because all I gave him was dry food so I started giving him half a can of wet along with half a can to my younger cat. I leave dry down 24/7. But it sounds like alot of you are strictly feeding with dry. I guess it's a relative question.

chastidy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I free feed my kitties Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. They eat about half a cup of food a piece everyday, unless my Siamese is in heat, and she will then eat about 3/4 of a cup. Much to the dislike of the other kitty. (The siamese isn't spayed because we plan on breeding) I've never really given either of them wet food, so I don't think they know what they might be missing. Whisker Lickins are treats- but the Siamese hates treats so the other kitty eats hers too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
JC is a very picky eater, and prefers dry to canned food. He gets half a day's ration of dry food (30 grams) every morning, and I have three different brands open at any one time. The dry food I give him is: Felidae, Solid Gold, Nutro, Almo Holistic, Eukanuba, and Science Diet. Very occasionally Iams or Purina One (I buy a small bag about once a year). He gets a small can (generally 3 ounces/ 85 g.) of canned food in the evening: Innova, Almo Nature, Miamor Feine Filets, Solid Gold, Prarie (larger can), and California Natural. He's allowed four small treats every evening, but often those "treats" consist of kibble. He also gets Whiskas cat milk, because he's addicted to it and raises a ruckus when he doesn't get it.
Janie is the first pet we've had that prefers dry food, but I'm uncomfortable about feeding it to him exclusively, because I fear urinary tract problems. The variety is at his insistence, and he's never had trouble with tummy upset.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats share 1/3 cup of Royal Canin in the morning. In the evening they share about 3/4 can of 6 oz wet food. (Natural Balence or a mixture of Innova and Natural Balence).

I like the Royal Canin because I can get it for older cats. Both of my cats have lost a lot of teeth. They don't have trouble chewing it though.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer gets free fed Natural Balance dry (just switched from Nutro Natural Choice) and gets 1 - 2 tsps of Nutro or Fancy Feast canned at night, but not every night. I used to split this up and give her some in the morning too, but she would wake us up VERY early (I never woke up and gave her any)....since I gradually switched to this schedule, the middle of the night alarm clock has been gone!

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by illusion

The only place we can get it is 40 miles away, in a feed-and-livestock store. I think the site has a store locator too, for anyone who's interested:
http://www.naturapet.com
don't count on the 'net store locators - I've found stores much closer to home that DO carry the foods that are not listed on the website. Just "let your fingers do the walking," pick up your yellow pages and call the store to ask if they carry X-Brand. Call any pet store, feed store or ranch/livestock supply store you can think of.

I've done some reading on the foods, and there's a lot of good information on other pet boards, but the guideline remains pretty much the same: look at the first three to four ingredients. Ideally, the food should have meat (NOT meat by-product) listed as the first ingredient, and no corn, rice, flour, or meal in those first four. This pretty much rules out all grocery-store brands. I was in a PetsMart the other day and there was a vendor there giving out coupons for the latest Science Diet formula. While she was giving her spiel about how much better it was for your pet, I was looking over the ingredient list. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing in her face - the FIRST ingredient was Brewer's rice!!!!!

As far as affordability goes, they really are pretty much the same, feeding for feeding. The better the ingredients, the less you'll need to feed per day, so a 5 lb bag of premium food would probably last just as long as an8-10 lb bag of store-bought at the same price. I didn't believe this until I got Bella - I bought a small bag of Chicken Soup for the Cat-Lover's Soul, and according to the feeding guide on the bag, I was only supposed to give my petite little girl 1/4-cup a DAY!! I thought surely I should give her more, but I followed the directions, and guess what - on that 1/4-cup a day my girl GAINED weight (she needed to).

There are never-ending debates on some boards about what is the "Best" food out there, but the two key things are 1) what goes into it (quality ingredients), and 2) will your cat eat it? Beyond that, I really think there's no difference