How Accurate are X-Rays for Determining Cat Pregnancy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That has only happened once since I posted it,  Meaning 2 in all. The hind end area rippling is still happening as well. Although Indipoo seems uncomfortable, she doesn't seem to be in pain or distress.

She actually managed to get into my linen closet and is perched on a shelf 7 feet above the floor. I don't know how I will get her down, or if she can get down on her own. I am concerned that if she tries to jump down from there that she will hurt herself and/or her kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness!

Well, your cat is in early labor for sure, and wants to nest in your linen closet!

Do you have a private nest where you can move her so she is not nesting in your linen closet? This is not an ideal location for having her kittens!

Can you get a stool to get her down and close the closet door?

A nest on the floor of a clothes closet might satisfy her.

Last edited:

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got out a stool and very gently took her off the top shelf. She is not too thrilled with me, but I agree, If this is early labor I do not want her having them up there.

Yes I do have 3 private nests. She has been in/out of them a lot over the past few days. I did put her into one and she got out and is sitting here glaring at me in regards to making her get out of the closet. haha

Question, if this is early labor should I be seeing discharge or something? Although the area around her nipples is enlarged, her milk hasn't come in. She isn't have any other discharge or intense licking.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What makes me think it's early labor is the twitches and ripples you describe. We'll have to see what happens. It may stop. It may be just some pre-labor. It's hard to know.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats have their milk come in early, and with others it comes in around the time they deliver. There is usually some discharge and the vulva dilates. Just look for more signs. She's nesting though, and it doesn't need to be in your linen closet, so I'm glad you got her down.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was curious about the lack discharge. This is the first time I have had a pregnant cat and I was under the impression that milk and other discharge appears a few days before hand.

I read the articles on the site about labor and delivery, but I still feel like a fish out of water. I was a bit confused because to me the twitches and ripples do make me think labor is imminent, but the lack of discharge made me wonder. Plus the babies are dropped down.

Oh yes she definitely has been nesting. I will watch for more signs, see what happens overnight and into tomorrow. Right now she is sleeping on the floor beside my chair.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk may not come in until right before or right after she gives birth.  The water discharge can't really begin until she loses the mucus plug.  Not everyone sees this or the discharge if the cat cleans it up right away.  Some people see a wet spot after the cat has moved form one spot to another.

Watch for excessive grooming, restlessness and wanting attention/affection.  Rubbing her belly gently, if she lets you, is good for the birthing process.

Hang in there.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok will watch for that. She has been wanting her belly rubbed, so I will continue doing so.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still waiting! We are still seeing occasional rippling, but it is still sporadic and it hasn't increased.

She seems to feel great. Much to my surprise a few times she has taken off running from one end of the house to the other. Hasn't done that in weeks.

A friend of mine said that right before they go into labor they become more active, but I don't know if there is any truth in that.

She is so big now that when she tries to bathe she can't reach the lower part of her belly. So we are still waiting

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very true! She was very sociable earlier and now just wants to be left alone.

Part of that is that she is mad at me. She managed to get into the linen closet again. When I went to get her down, she jumped down on her own.

I now have a chair wedged under the doorknob of the linen closet.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Advice needed - since last night my girl has been getting onto every high place she can. Each time I climb up and put her down on the floor out of concern that her jumping down could hurt her or the kittens.

I tried confining her to one room with food, water, litter box. She became so agitated I had to let her out. What should I do? I don't want her to hurt herself or her kittens.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I now have 2 pregnant cats. A group I occasionally foster for called me this afternoon and asked if I would consider fostering a pregnant cat, who in fact I bottle fed/fostered. The people who had adopted her from the group did not have her spayed as per agreement. Once she got pregnant, they decided they did not want the cat anymore and were going to take her to a shelter. The lady who runs the rescue found out about it and thankfully intervened.. She is 5 or 6 weeks along and a very small cat. She is not even a year old.

​On the plus side, she is settling right in. When we let her out of the carrier, she ran all over checking everything out as though she remembers where everything is. She and my other cats seem to remember each other as well, so that is a very good thing.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Advice needed - since last night my girl has been getting onto every high place she can. Each time I climb up and put her down on the floor out of concern that her jumping down could hurt her or the kittens.

I tried confining her to one room with food, water, litter box. She became so agitated I had to let her out. What should I do? I don't want her to hurt herself or her kittens.
She is looking for a quiet dark out of the way place.  Can you direct her to one that is safe?  She will not want to be around the other animals when she gives birth.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes on redirecting her to safe areas. I have 4 nesting areas set up for her around the house. They are private and two are dark, but two aren't.

Might be time for me to re-think the nesting boxes. She spends a lot of time in the one in my bathroom of all places. Loves the soft fluffy bathroom rug.

I was wondering, for the past week her babies have been dropped. Very obvious on that. She has exhibited signs off and on which seem to be pre-labor, but no labor.

At what point do I need to consider taking her to the vet if the kittens have not arrived?

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was in heat the week of June 8th - 12th.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's probably at the end of her ninth week. She could go another few days.

Have you seen discharge or her vulva dilating yet?

Last edited: