Houseguest With Cat Allergies?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was hoping to get some advice on how to make a stay as comfortable as possible for someone with cat allergies! My best friend is visiting and I haven't seen her in over a year, and she's allergic to cats. I've been cleaning and vacuuming and she's bringing benadryl, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I could do in preparation or while she's here. Are any of you allergic to cats, or have had people in your house that are? Is there anything that really helped reduce the allergic reaction?

Oh and additionally I have one cat and he's really friendly - loves sitting on laps, riding around on shoulders, and licking people. He's a real in-your-face sweetheart who doesn't know people can be allergic to him :(

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat will stand a bath, that will help to remove excess oils that contain the fel d1 allergen. It sounds like you're doing a great job already! I'd also reccommend washing any soft surfaces as well as perches that your cat spends time on, and not letting your kitty into the room where your houseguest is sleeping.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your friend is willing, ask her to start taking a daily 24 hour allergy pill (like Zyrtec) or a nasal spray type (like Flonase) for a week before the visit and then daily during the visit. That will allow the medication to build up in her system before the visit and continue through it so that there is a level of resistance. Benadryl is a great allergy medicine and wonderful for really bad reactions but I know it knocks me on my butt and I don't feel like doing anything but sleeping when it is in affect.

Make sure you vacuum any cloth furniture in your home (including the tops, sides and back) and look at an allergen reducing spray that you spray on before vacuuming (like Natures Miracle Allergen Blocker, NOT Febreeze). Wash any curtains you might have as they will also grab onto the fur and create a wall of allergens. Make sure where she is sleeping has been cleaned and aired out. If a guest room, vacuum and use the cloth cleaner then shut the door and open a window for it to air out fully (fan in window if you have it). Then don't allow the cat back in until after the visit. If a couch or pull out bed, change sheets each day to ensure that allergens don't settle during the day. Whatever pillows to be used should be washed too before the visit. Don't use decorative throw pillows unless they have been washed and if using a guest room remove any plush or cloth items that can't be cleaned (like a handmade quilt or stuffed animal).

Mine is the more extreme version but I have more extreme allergies. I usually bring my own bedding and towels for longer visits (or a sleeping bag and sleep on top of beds) just because I have not only the animal allergies but also allergies to cleaners like laundry soap and softeners.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
In addition to what Kieka Kieka said, do not dust or vacuum right before she arrives. This will send all of the allergens airborne again and you don't want that.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend that has severe cat allergies. She actually loves cats but can not share her home with one. She ended up coming to visit me unexpectedly a few months ago with her daughters who are also allergic. The air in their home went out so she called and asked if she could hang out at my house for the day. I did not have enough notice to any cleaning. They know one of my cats is a people cat so they took meds before coming over. My people cat visited all three of them and they had a blast. Make sure your friend knows about your people cat a head of time. My friend knew about ours and made sure herself and the kids were properly medicated so they did not have any reaction.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My son is allergic to cats as is my grandson. When I know the kids are coming for a visit (not overnight, but for the day), I make sure the windows are open and the house is aired-out as much as I can. A good vacuuming and dusting. We run a Honeywell HEPA air purifier in the living room the entire time they're here.....I really can't say that it does any good, though.

The kids will wash their hands quite a bit, especially right after handling one of the cats. And before touching their faces (eyes, nose, etc.). Our son seems to think it helps; I can't say.

We bought our elliptical from Dick's. When the two guys came in to put the elliptical together, they brought the boxes back into the bedroom; that's where the elliptical "lives". They were sitting on the floor, working on the elliptical. And the cats started to investigate. One of the guys looked at me and said, "How many cats do you have?" When I said that we had seven cats, he started counting. He got to six and asked, "Where's the other one?" And I said, "Behind you. Look under the bed." And he said, "Oh crap, I need my meds!" and went out to the truck. Turns out he was severely allergic to cats! He was fine, though. He took something and then took some Benedryl. He understood that people have cats and it comes with the territory and he deals the best way he can.