Housecat Has A Scrape On His Leg?

mactabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kiddo is rambunctious and about a year old now. He was just laying down next to me and I noticed something in his fur, and then saw that it looked like a long scab. This is around where his knee is, I think, on his back left leg (just below the knee where the leg angles back, on the front of his leg). I put the picture below, and it's not a very good one but the best I could do versus cat fur. In person it's a lot less bright, but it definitely seems like a scab.

Since he's indoors, I have no idea what could've gished him, especially since I've never seen any blood anywhere. It doesn't seem sensitive, he's not even reacting to me petting over it beyond just how he's usually fussier with his back feet than his front. He broke a plant pot about a week ago, and sometimes he runs too fast on the wood floor and skids into stuff.

Is this something he needs to go into the vet for? Or should I just keep an eye on it?

upload_2017-6-21_2-41-28.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mactabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, not sure if I should post this in the original post or if this is ok to be separate, but he does also have what looks like a callous on the bottom of his foot on the same leg..?

upload_2017-6-21_2-56-18.png

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My kiddo is rambunctious and about a year old now. He was just laying down next to me and I noticed something in his fur, and then saw that it looked like a long scab. This is around where his knee is, I think, on his back left leg (just below the knee where the leg angles back, on the front of his leg). I put the picture below, and it's not a very good one but the best I could do versus cat fur. In person it's a lot less bright, but it definitely seems like a scab.

Since he's indoors, I have no idea what could've gished him, especially since I've never seen any blood anywhere. It doesn't seem sensitive, he's not even reacting to me petting over it beyond just how he's usually fussier with his back feet than his front. He broke a plant pot about a week ago, and sometimes he runs too fast on the wood floor and skids into stuff.

Is this something he needs to go into the vet for? Or should I just keep an eye on it?

View attachment 185213
Hi mactabby, he could have scruffed it anywhere. Could be the unevenness of the wood floor and they are pretty sharp or the corner of a piece of tile.

As long as it is drying up and not bleeding or any swells and flowing pus or abscess, think it should be ok. But better keep an eye on it and make sure it's not infected and watch his gait. Any thing that is suspicious, better bring to the vet for a check.

Callous is pretty common as that part rest on the floor the most and my boy has them on both his hind legs. Think it's like our elbow, the skin gets harder and rougher there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mactabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi mactabby, he could have scruffed it anywhere. Could be the unevenness of the wood floor and they are pretty sharp or the corner of a piece of tile.

As long as it is drying up and not bleeding or any swells and flowing pus or abscess, think it should be ok. But better keep an eye on it and make sure it's not infected and watch his gait. Any thing that is suspicious, better bring to the vet for a check.

Callous is pretty common as that part rest on the floor the most and my boy has them on both his hind legs. Think it's like our elbow, the skin gets harder and rougher there.
Thanks for the fast reply :D It looks like it's healing okay, and he's been running around and playing as much as usual. Is it okay to leave it as is, or do cats benefit from things like neosporin like we do?

I never knew they got callouses there! I did check his other foot and there is a spot forming similar on the other side, as well, but less pronounced. They look kind of dry, but is that okay so long as he's not uncomfortable?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he would probably lick it off I wouldn't put Neosporin on it. When they open you could give your vet a call and ask their advice. You could even email them a picture. Good luck, keep us updated.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm not sure about the medication you mentioned for wounds. Better not apply as they will lick it up and pose a danger to them.

I think the calluos is more pronounced on short hair cats. Just make sure they are not ringworms.