house of pee

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there,

i've posted on here a few times already and just wanted some advice. has anyone ever had "temper tantrums" with cats?? we have found if we don't let our 1 1/2 year old torti Flik out when she wants she decides to become destructive and pee's on weird area's of the house....namely the wooden arc's and couches. 

we purchased a feliway and it seemed to work but have since purchased a refill and since then seems to be making NO difference.

we have another kitty, Cleo also a year and a half and we never have this problem with her. sometimes flik is outside and cleo is inside and there's no pee (cleo likes being indoors but flik has ALWAYS wanted to go outside)....as soon as flik is left inside and we go to work it's a house of pee!!

there's no UTI she has been checked many times.

the are both spayed and get along tremendosly.

i clean the area's with disinfectant and then enzyme cleaner.

so what could the answer be??

I'M GOING INSANE spending all my time cleaning pee!!!!

any help would be fantastic.

louise

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... it must be very annoying for you. Do Cloe and Flik mess-fight for dominance often? My cats are both neutered and still mess-fight. Flik could also be marking territory, I know that sometimes cats leave their poop uncovered in the litterbox to enforce dominance and mark the house tas their own. Maybe you should try tiring Flik more to lower her energy level maybe using a toy that makes her run alot, e.g. a laser. I don't know if this would work but I have no other ideas at the moment 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a lot of cats in your neighborhood that come on your property?  It does sound like a territory issue, she feels the need to be outdoors probably because she is marking outdoors.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She sounds a lot like my mother's cat.  She used to pee right in front of you; while looking at you.  Over time my mother figured out that if she could go outside regularly; she pees in the house a lot less.  Recently she switched to a softer texture litter to see if that helps as well.  (Bunny came to her around age 2 already declawed. This can cause some issues like this.)  My mother's cats do spend a lot of time in the garage these days.  It's more of a cat sanctuary than a garage at this point and they still have an indoor litter box.  It just became their compromise because one of their other cats started having issues.  Possibly from them not having used enzyme cleaners (until recently) to completely remove the scents to a kitty nose standard. 

How many boxes do you have?  The general recommendation is one per cat, plus one. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have two litter box's and always have. I honestly dont know if there are a lot of other cats in the neighbourhood...i have seen one or two but not a lot. Im literally at the end of my rope. I think shes just gunna have to be outside most of the day