Houdini Kitten Following Spay Surgery

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there guys!

We got both our boy kitten, Bowie, and girl kitten, Toulouse, neutered and spayed exactly a week ago today and Bowie healed with no issue as expected but our struggle with Toulouse is ongoing.

She managed to remove her e-collar several times and since I wasn't watching her like a hawk while I slept she managed to take off the collar and lick open her glued top layer after the first three days. We wrapped her in a clean bandage overnight which ensured she wouldn't touch it again but the damage was done and and infection formed.

We immediately took her to the emergency vet who cleaned out the wound and confirmed that the body wall sutures were intact. We now have to leave the top layer open so the infection finishes clearing out. We got Toulouse ("Lula") a baby onesie to wear while we sleep so she has double protection in case she wrestles the collar off.

Low and behold when I woke up this morning she had both the onesie and collar completely off and had kicked off the small scab that had finally begun to form. I'm hoping someone has a creative idea to help keep my Lula from causing anymore damage to her incision.

Thanks for your help!
-Kristen

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps she would hate the onesie less if you cut off the legs and arms, making them “short sleeved.”

You can also just get a sock, cut off one end to make a tube and then cut holes in it for the front and back legs, making a sleeveless body suit. She might hate that less than a onesie that covers her paws.

Good luck, she sounds determined :). I like her already.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I agree with covering up the spot with a sock or cutting off the arms. I wonder if it would be too much to put a small bandage over the wound at night with the baby onsie on. Just during night so that there is a third layer. I can’t say I blame her, though, sounds are itchy when they’re healing! :lol: Spunky girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps she would hate the onesie less if you cut off the legs and arms, making them “short sleeved.”

You can also just get a sock, cut off one end to make a tube and then cut holes in it for the front and back legs, making a sleeveless body suit. She might hate that less than a onesie that covers her paws.

Good luck, she sounds determined :). I like her already.
I never thought of this! I might give that a try. The onesie is legless and sleeveless but I think she finds her way out of the neck hole.

Thank you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she a tortie by any chance? This sounds like something my tortie would do! LOL Hope the tube sock works.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That onesie in the picture seems a bit loose, it will be easy to take it off for a determined cat like Lula.
I also recommend tube socks. We tried it with our cat. Do not make the leg holes very big because she still can manage to take it off, if the legs holes are big. It should be a bit tight but not too tight of course.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a collar on any of my cats that were spayed and all came through fine. A couple licked more than the others and the wound opened slightly, but all healed well in the end.They have wound sprays, (i spray it on a cotton ball till soaked because the spray scares them) at your local farm and ranch, like Orschelns or Tractor Supply, That have a bitter taste and helps to not have them lick so much. You might want to try it to avoid all the stress of having a collar and coverings. I would think that all her twisting and getting out of all that would be just as harmful. Just make sure it is for cats too. Cats don't purposely try to harm themselves. they are trying to heal the wound by licking. their own bacteria is not harmful to their own bodies. All the feral cats that are spayed and released back into the wild don't wear e-collars! All the luck! PS Boy sure are easier!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never used a collar on any of my cats that were spayed and all came through fine. A couple licked more than the others and the wound opened slightly, but all healed well in the end.They have wound sprays, (i spray it on a cotton ball till soaked because the spray scares them) at your local farm and ranch, like Orschelns or Tractor Supply, That have a bitter taste and helps to not have them lick so much. You might want to try it to avoid all the stress of having a collar and coverings. I would think that all her twisting and getting out of all that would be just as harmful. Just make sure it is for cats too. Cats don't purposely try to harm themselves. they are trying to heal the wound by licking. their own bacteria is not harmful to their own bodies. All the feral cats that are spayed and released back into the wild don't wear e-collars! All the luck! PS Boy sure are easier!
Thanks for this! Luckily she's finally starting to heal and I've been using a bit of colloidal silver to help it along. Boys are simpler for sure