Houdini Eat Your Heart Out!

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really could use some help from you well-informed folks! We have 2 cats - Abbey (7) and Casey (nearly 3). They both sleep downstairs at night with both downstairs doors shut, and have always done so with no issues whatsoever. I work part time so M, T & W I'm up at 6:30, shower, dress and go down to sort out the cats. Thur- Sun I'm at home. Last week on Thursday we heard Casey banging around at the living room door for about 10 minutes then all of a sudden here come the pitter patter of little feet up the stairs. He had somehow figured out how to get the door handle down and the door opens IN, so it would have involved him managing to pull it. The next night we put a carpet protector mat down by that door with the little spikey things up (didn't phase him) and the next morning heard him digging away at the door again. A few moments of quiet, then we heard a rather loud thump and here he comes again. He'd gone to the laundry room door, must have jumped up to grab the handle and freedom! We now have both doors barricaded at night with boards, a garden trellis, the spikey mat, a laundry maiden and a clothes basket weighted down with a bag of cat litter! He's just started this and I'm wondering if in his little head he's used to me getting up at a certain time and figures something is wrong if I'm not. He always starts between 6:45 - 7:15. We prefer them downstairs at night because they jump on and off the bed, want to sit in the window, wrestle with each other and consider the stairs a playground to race up and down. Abbey pretty much ignores his antics and is happy to sleep in her little bed downstairs. Casey is a "mama's boy" and gets scared at anything and pretty much everything, so I can't get mad at him - we thought the first time the bin men had scared him and he was just trying to get to us to save him. I don't want this to become a habit with him but I don't have any more ideas. Can any of you help???

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm wondering if in his little head he's used to me getting up at a certain time and figures something is wrong if I'm not.
Yep, he likes the routine and the attention and the breakfast when you get up at 6:30. My Big Guy is a little bit more of a gentleman about it, but there's no door inbetween. He'll wait until he hears somebody stir at whatever later time that might be, but then boy oh boy, do we get to hear about it "ya lazy bums where's my breakfast!" LOL It'd be a hoot if you put up one of those little cameras and removed some of the barricade to see how he's accomplishing this, but that of course doesn't go anywhere towards your goal. So, can you stick with the barricades and also obtain one of those timed feeders where the lid pops open at a specific time that you set? This might take a while and granted, might not work in the end since like I mentioned, it's also the attention he's getting as well, I think. Otherwise you might have to change to knobs instead of the handles, with the thought that he might even be able to figure those out eventually. Good luck!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This product may help keep your cat from opening doors wide enough to squeeze through: Door Buddy It's sold on Amazon UK. I use it to keep the cats out of the laundry closet while I have the door ajar to allow the washing machine inside to dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This product may help keep your cat from opening doors wide enough to squeeze through: Door Buddy It's sold on Amazon UK. I use it to keep the cats out of the laundry closet while I have the door ajar to allow the washing machine inside to dry.
I'll have a look at those straps - that's a nifty idea as well as the door latch. Simple. Hadn't thought about the timed feeder either, but he may be hungry by then and "where's the food!!" is likely drifting through his little mind. It's not just the doors he can open, he starts digging up the carpet, scratching the back of the door and making an unearthly racket. He's a crafty little critter. If he can't get the door open he thinks he can dig his way out! He was up earlier today (6:15) but not quite so persistent, so maybe we'll wear him down in time with the barricades. Just don't know what started him off on this - like someone turned a switch on in him. Thanks all for the ideas - appreciate it more than you know!