Hot Baby

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a litter of 5, 12 week male kittens one if whom is noticeably hotter than the rest with thin fur patches on ears and tail his tummy is also firm. He acts normal otherwise should I be concerned or is this just a phase? Would post a picture but our tinny panther is much to busy beating up his brothers to stand still. He is the biggest of the litter and was born with a fever coat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His activity level suggests he is normal. His firm belly suggests he eats a lot, but may be constipated or just need to poop soon.

What are you feeding? How much and how often?

Does he poop normally each day?

At 12 weeks he may just be growing quickly, eating lots, and a very busy kitten. His system may naturally run a bit warmer than the others, but it does not necessarily mean there is a problem.

All kittens — even from the same litter — will have different body types, food preferences, personalities, and even temperatures.

If they’ve not seen a vet yet, it’s time they do to begin their kitten vaccinations.

C CarmiesMom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all me again one of my 5 boys woke up this morning and seemed okay before I went to work when I got home he vomited foam, after a can of food he was okay for a bit then vomited white foam and bits of canned food 4-5 times in tinny amounts and then pooped a small amount of water diarrhea that though it could be my lighting to have a greenish tinge to it. I'm having medical issues of my own (a birth defect causing neurological issues as well as balance issues and I will have to go in for surgery in the next couple months diagnosed in February) so I haven't been able to get them in for their kitten vaccines yet. The other 4 seem fine so I'm concerned he got into something or ate something he shouldn't I've taken the water gallon tavs away from him numerous times we recently switched to Purinia cat chow with Salmon on Friday after having to have paws (Hy-Vee (grocery store generic)) for 2 days so I'm concerned it could be the food but I just don't know I out him in a pet carrier for tonight alone and I hope that's the right move his mother was bathing him a lot I pray one if hge gets has time to see him tomorrow I have taken all food out if the pet carrier and am affraid to put water in his carrier that he will just spill it and make himself sicker any advice would be wonderful as I'm worried sick about him right now wishing we had a 24/7 emergency vet closer than 150 mi away.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His activity level suggests he is normal. His firm belly suggests he eats a lot, but may be constipated or just need to poop soon.

What are you feeding? How much and how often?

Does he poop normally each day?

At 12 weeks he may just be growing quickly, eating lots, and a very busy kitten. His system may naturally run a bit warmer than the others, but it does not necessarily mean there is a problem.

All kittens — even from the same litter — will have different body types, food preferences, personalities, and even temperatures.

If they’ve not seen a vet yet, it’s time they do to begin their kitten vaccinations.

C CarmiesMom
You were right our Love bug is not so hot any longer growth spurt occured shortly after posting and poos regularly. As a multi cat house hold they all want Purinia cat chow though I did get the salmon flavor Friday instead of the regular. no I'm not a foster the babies were an oops litter their mama got out before her appointment to get spayed and it had to get put off because she was to far along and my vet wouldn't do it then I'm looking for homes for the boys but haven't been successful yet as I want good homes I have also been dealing with sone severe medical issues of my own I have what's called Chairi malformation and I'm going to have to have Neurosurgery to see if sone if my issues can be reversed soon as it is progressing quickly I was diagnosed in January with numb fingers it's now April and I'm seeing the surgeon to schedule surgery on Friday as my balance has now become an issue. Sorry but anyway if I'm still working I will pay half the nuter costs of approx $75-85 in total and they will pay the rest and pick up from the vet is what I have put in adds I also said I'd prefer if they took 2-3 of the boys but would let them go individualy as well to the right home no luck so far.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any vet you could call? At least to get some advice over the phone?

If a kitten (or any cat, for that matter) throws up more than once, it's cause for concern. If he throws up foam or anything except food, it's extra concerning. Top if off with diarrhea and you've likely got a real problem.

Also, try to quarantine the sick kitten and keep him away from the others until you have a better idea what's going on.

It would also be worthwhile to take a look around the house to see if you can find anything he might have gotten into while you weren't looking.

Fingers crossed! Sending good vibes! :vibes: Thoughts and prayers be with you and your kitten! 🙏

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m glad to hear the kittens are all okay, and sorry to hear that you are experiencing medical problems of your own. I understand that finances are an issue as well.

I hope you are able to get mom spayed and the kittens neutered at a good price in the meantime. Once none of them are fertile any more it’s just a matter of feeding them until homes are found.

As long as none can mate it gives you time to seek good homes, especially knowing that none can impregnate or reproduce any longer.

It makes things easier, and hopefully they are a comfort to you while you deal with your own medical issues.

It’s so good to hear an update from you, and again, so sorry about your medical issues.

Please let us know how we can help. I am happy to hear the kittens are doing well in the meantime.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately no theirs no vet in our area I could call tonight it just has to wait for morning he is in a pet carrier by himself for the night and it's honestly hard to say what he might have gotten into he's small and I'm not sure what he would have gotten that none of the others did but I did make tacos for dinner last night with leftovers tonight(Monday) and he may have picked the ian or spoon is all I can think of honestly they're banned from the working bathroom and I have litter boxes in the non working bathroom (cousin as a handy man long story) so I honestly have no idea because what one trys the others try. I'd post a picture but my phone's an ass and won't let me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is excellent! So glad to hear. You are a wonderful cat mom!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like it is the change in food. Although some cats change foods easily with no issues, others react violently with vomiting and diarrhea.

It sounds like you have a sensitive boy who cannot handle the change, so the answer is to get him back on the food he is accustomed to as quickly as possible.

Some cats are just very sensitive and have allergies. He should return to normal within a day or two of being back on his regular food. If not, let us know.

C CarmiesMom

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sweet Orange Boy, Sven!

Is he any better today? His tummy might like plain boiled chicken and rice — no spices except salt.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He hasn't vomited today though I still took him to the vet. no fever, no pain or irritation when manipulating his abdomen, his lungs sounded good as did his heart and breathing was even no eye discharge but a tinny bit of nasal discharge has him on antibiotics for a week, he did have ear mites, and the vet suggested canned kitten food for a few days but he couldn't see anything wrong with my boy without a bunch of tests I can't really afford. He's 16 weeks approx and 3# 4oz and today his poo was solid all he's eaten today is canned turkey kitten food but is drinking a lot of water still not up to playing yet but it seems like maybe it was the food abd it just took a few days for it to show up the gets hope is a few days on antibiotics and canned kitten food he should perk up. He also said Sven being the only one sick is a good sign that it's not something contagious that the gog carried in.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear! :thumbsup:

It was probably something he ate but it's always good to check in with a professional whenever something happens out of the ordinary.

Glad your kitty's on the mend! I'm sure he'll be back to his old self once he has a chance to rest and recover. :)

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed but he dose seem thirstier than normal and wet his pet carrier enough to soak absolutely soak half of a puppy pad as the vet suggested he rest today and the pet carrier is the only way to keep him from his brothers completely I out food in with him and let him up every couple hours when I can contain the other boys in my bedroom for 30-45 min at a time so he can drink and potty, but seems really thirsty so I plan to call his Dr in the morning and see if he could possibly be diabetic. he ate nearly an entire can of fancy feast turkey kitten food my mom went to the store for me but the other can of kitten wet food is Salmon flavor should I risk it or just feed kitten chow as the vet suggested he should be eating? Instead of cat chow regular which he was doing fine on.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve always fed my kittens both kitten chow and wet kitten food. They need both. He would naturally be very thirsty if he was deprived of water for several hours. It’s unusual for a kitten to be diabetic.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve always fed my kittens both kitten chow and wet kitten food. They need both. He would naturally be very thirsty if he was deprived of water for several hours. It’s unusual for a kitten to be diabetic.
I think this might be the exception he's wetting the carrier a lot and drinking a lot as well as everytime he wets I let him up while I change the puppy pad and the entire time I'm cleaning his pet carrier he's drinking water and I clear out one lad wipe down with apple cider vinegar/water solution 4parts water 1 part vinegar, dry it it and put in a fresh pad he has soaked 3pads now.