Hospital visit via kitten attack

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to get mischief to not chew on extension cords etc etc ?? I mean obviously I need to switch vets which sucks as I've been with this vet for 5 years...but if he's giving me this much bad advice I don't have much of a choice. And this is so far the only real problem I've had with mischief.....beyond him attacking me last night that is....
Limit his access to them. Keep him confined to rooms without cords until he grows up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice klunick. Yes I do have a spare bedroom that isn't furnished and could be used for that purpose. I will definitely try that.

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Klunick. Being as he is already friendly with my other cat who has been kind of mothering him should I allow brief visits between them while I have him in that spare room?

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure others will have a lot better suggestions, and I've not dealt with this myself. But this article looks like it has a lot of suggestions: How To Get Your Cat To Stop Biting Cords

I know I have had success stopping a cat from chewing on a plant by putting a bit of relatively mild hot sauce on some of the leaves -- it was a natural reaction to the new taste and she stopped. I'm don't think that's a good idea on such a baby kitten who is already feeling insecure, though, but hiding the cords, distraction, covering them with something else that protects them, etc would help. And perhaps making it smell like citrus would be helpful, too. But you might want to get some calming feliway or something else so that citrus isn't the only new smell in his space.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BTW, I have seen this resource recommended several times on how to properly socialize a feral kitten into a secure, comfortable, and loving housecat: How to Socialize Feral Kittens<br/> — Kitten Lady

They come in with such fear and insecurity they need a lot of stability, love, and patience for a long time. Once they start trusting they are incredibly devoted pets, but they require some different techniques than a cat that was born inside to another friendly cat and knows nothing but trusting people.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never found street rescued kittens to be too different from home raised kittens. Maybe a little slower to warm up and a little more nervous at first, but I wouldn't use the term feral for a kitten this young. Just too young for it to make a huge difference after initial adjustment. I have two cats now, one home raised and one rescue, and the home raised is loving and nervous, while the rescue is loving and fearless. I think there is a lot of random to it, and some kittens take longer to come out of their shell is mostly all it is.

If you are mobile enough, then in my opinion, then until the kitten is well bonded the ideal way to deal with a training issue, whether its biting the cords, climbing the curtains, scratching the couch, play biting or any of the other things that come up, is just to remove the kitten from the situation, hundreds of times if necessary. That often works in the long run. After the kitten is well bonded, a loud "no!" is a perfectly fine training method, although it can be slow and doesn't work with all cats. I've never used cord covers or deterent concoctions. I *have* lost some cords, as some cats are slow to train via removal and a loud "no!"

If you are not mobile enough for repeated removals, then I'd look into things in the article like cord covers until the kitten is well bonded enough for training.

With most kittens, a loud "no!" used prior to a good bond would just make the kitten scared and slow down bonding. Yours obviously has a different and more extreme reaction, but agree with everyone to the extent that training has to be different prior to a good strong bond.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
D Daddy mischief : hello and welcome to TCS. So very sorry, though, for the frightening situation that brought you here. I hope your injuries heal quickly, and that nothing like that happens again. Was it just scratches? Or did he bite you too? For scratches, clipping his nails, even just the very tips, should lessen the razor blade sharpness.

Since it appears Mischief is a feral kitten, here's a TCS article that might have some tips for you:
Handling Feral Cats – TheCatSite Articles

There's also these ones:
Cat Aggression Toward People – TheCatSite Articles
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles

3. I do have another cat a 5 year old female calico by the name of sunshine and yes she is spayed. Her and mischief often play together though sometimes she will hide from him.
It's good that your older cat is bonding with the kitten. Does she hide because the kitten is clingy and won't leave her alone? Or because it tries to fight with her?

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to get mischief to not chew on extension cords etc etc ??
There's various covers you can buy. Here's one:

1630071279989.png

Amazon.com: Dog and Cat Cord Protector 32.8ft Wire Protector Sleeve Covers for Cord Protects Your Pets from Chewing Through Insulated Cables 5 PCS/Pack 32.8ft in Total 10mm Width by FUNZON : Electronics

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Klunick. Being as he is already friendly with my other cat who has been kind of mothering him should I allow brief visits between them while I have him in that spare room?
I would say yes and it might provide some comfort to the kitten. I would imagine seeing a "friendly" face once in a while will help. Once you get to the stage where he isn't so scared, seeing how your cat reacts/interacts with you will show the kitten that he is safe and hopefully Mischief will warm up to you.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Online you can find some sprays that are supposed to deter cats from chewing on things. I think they are bitter tasting. I cannot say whether they work or not on cords because I have never had a cord chewer. Good luck with this little one. He is very cute. It is surprising how frightening a small kitten can be when they are really scared. I have had a few kittens that I have live trapped that will charge at the doors of the cage and spit and hiss.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very glad you found your way here, and that you did not immediately give up on this kitten. It was kind to rescue him and do the best you could with your information, and I have no doubt that a vet that was unfortunately setting up this situation with odd advice would probably have put this kitten down without too much self-reflection.

You and this kitty have the potential to have a good long future together, and I do want to credit you with the willingness to come here, ask, and to try. A lot of people seem to sign up here in an unfortunate situation -- I came when my cat went missing, partly due to my mistakes and lack of knowledge, though I thought I was very knowledgeable at the time. It is a wonderful, supportive community with an incredible depth of knowledge. Welcome! I also hope that your injuries heal quickly and completely.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd rehome him ASAP. Your daughter will get over it if you get her another Kitten, especially if it looks like him (she's young enough that she may not even know the difference if it's another black kitten) but if he attacks her like he did to you she will probably be emotionally scarred for life. It's too big of a risk.

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rubysmama.
Multiple bites as well as the scratches.
Sunshine mainly hides when he gets too agressive in his play or gets too clingy...he even tries to nurse from her. Which she tolerates for a bit before attempting to get away from him which doesn't seem to work until she jumps up on the closet shelves as he is very persistent.
Thanks for the articles I'm learning alot from them.
And thanks for the link to the cord covers those are going to be very useful!

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Klunick. Ok good to hear. Thanks again.

Dahlia.
Can those deterrent sprays go on cord covers?

Dahlia.
Yeah it was very surprising! Tbh I'm a bit afraid of him now....never considered a kitten to be able to be dangerous until now.....

MackerelTabyStripes.
Thank you for the welcome and your insights.

Talien.
I do agree that it's a risk. Hence why I've gone ahead with klunick's suggestion to isolate him in the spare unfurnished bedroom and begin a slow socialization process starting with my older cat sunshine and myself....if I don't see improvement within a few days or if he attacks again then I will have to re-home him.
I will not be allowing my daughter near him until I'm sure she won't get hurt like I did.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can buy flex tubing from hme depot/lowes in 4 foot lengths i think it is and use it to cover all cords/wires around the house dont know why your vet didnt suggest hiding all wires from your kitten who probably is teething still would like to add i am glad your not just kicking the lil guy to the curb over this and are here trying to find a workable solution to what happened. the pic is that tubing :lol:probably the ugliest fix to the wire chewing out there but it works though and has well over a year now but your cat will be safe though and the wires to hdmi cables arent cheap

Attachments

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talien.
I do agree that it's a risk. Hence why I've gone ahead with klunick's suggestion to isolate him in the spare unfurnished bedroom and begin a slow socialization process starting with my older cat sunshine and myself....if I don't see improvement within a few days or if he attacks again then I will have to re-home him.
I will not be allowing my daughter near him until I'm sure she won't get hurt like I did.
Keep in mind that it's a slow process so a few days may not show much change. I think it took a month for my kittens to stop hissing at me. :lol:

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Game misconduct.
How long do kittens teeth for?

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Klunick ah ok. First time with a feral so this is all new to me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rubysmama.
Multiple bites as well as the scratches.
Are you on antibiotics? Cat bites and scratches can quickly become infected.
Ouch! More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Cat Bites – TheCatSite Articles

Sunshine mainly hides when he gets too agressive in his play or gets too clingy...he even tries to nurse from her. Which she tolerates for a bit before attempting to get away from him which doesn't seem to work until she jumps up on the closet shelves as he is very persistent.
Poor kitten. Obviously misses his mom, and siblings. Wonder if he'd like a Snuggle Kitty?

1630079291308.png