Horse update

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very handsome! He will be stunning once you get him fattened up. I am guessing he is a dark foreparts appaloosa? I can't quite remember the coat patterns.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! You got the horse!

He is so lucky to have you! Have fun with him!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

is one parent a leopard App?
Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about his parents. All I know is that the guy I got him from got him from another guy a few years ago. The first guy had bought Levi to train for his 15 year old son but never did and they got tired of him.

I am guessing he is a dark foreparts appaloosa? I can't quite remember the coat patterns.
I don't have a clue, LOL. I know almost nothing about Appaloosa's, except for the very little bit that I've read. I've only ever worked with Arabians, a few QH's, and drafts... I've only ever ridden one Appy and it was just on a trail ride. So Levi is my first experience with the breed. He's an awesome guy though with tons of potential.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness he's so cute! Although, I would say he's a lot more than 100lbs under weight. What on earth were the people thinking that owned him before you?!!!

When I bought my mare she wasn't nearly as skinny as your poor boy, just enough to easily count her ribs and she was 200lbs under weight. Also full of worms. Honestly I think your boy could use a good 300, especially if he was in a small pen and has low muscle mass.

One thing I will advise you of is often times when horses are malnurished and go through stress (like trailering, or moving) they get sick. You should notice in the next couple weeks if he gets sick. A dose of pennicillon is all it takes to cure a running nose and coughing.

We had the same horrible troubles trailering my mare too, the man who owned her before would literally kick her and tie ropes around her butt, he gladdly told us that. That's when I knew I just had to buy that poor mare.

What a pretty horse!

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I don't have a clue, LOL. I know almost nothing about Appaloosa's, except for the very little bit that I've read. I've only ever worked with Arabians, a few QH's, and drafts... I've only ever ridden one Appy and it was just on a trail ride. So Levi is my first experience with the breed. He's an awesome guy though with tons of potential.
He looks like a red roan blanket spotted one to me, and a very cute one too, bet he'll look fab when you've got some weight on him!

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congats on getting your horse. I'm sure with time and patience he will turn out to be a very nice boy for you. Have you ever seen Dennis Reis? He has some very good ways to train and it is all very gentle. You may want to watch him if you haven't already...

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!! Hope it all goes well with his training!

I can't have a horse of my own till I'm a little bit older, but i WILL get one!

Good Luck!

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No roan gene there. A red base (sorrel or chestnut) appaloosa with a large blanket and spots.

Blindfolding actually works better on higher energy horses. They can't stand still and so end up following you when they can't see for lack of any better ideas. Horses that are more stubborn and lower energy are more likely to just refuse to move at all or even lay down rather than risk moving somewhere they won't like. Most of my quarter horses and paints would stand there no matter what you did if blindfolded while we always had more luck trying it with the arabians or standardbreds. Overall there is really no good way to load a horse that has never loaded and doesn't like to load into a trailer in one session. However when it has to be done best I've found is to back up the trailer to any narrow area or corner and cover any gaps with gates. Then run the horse in and don't let it stop until it's in the trailer. I've bought some really wild horses that have been running loose on pasture without ever seeing people and that is the only way we have consistently loaded them safely. They'll bolt through, kick at, and rear over ropes unless they have some handling or are rather small. Yearlings can be thrown in with butt ropes and someone at their head but a well developed 2 year old or older often won't go in even with 5 people pushing and pulling. Safer to run them in without touching them and especially without pulling since someone at their head is more likely to make them go backward away from the trailer than in it.