Horrible situation with Grandmas cat

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My grandma has a cat that is 14 years old and nearly toothless because in the past she had dental problems and my grandma refused to bring her to a vet, so after years she finally did and they pulled almost every tooth out. She hasn't brought her back since.

She escaped outside and has been out for 2 weeks. She has all her claws but being she is missing teeth so even if she caught a bird or something she can't eat it. It's been hot out. She is staying in or near my grandmas yard.

My grandma and I don't have a good relationship its like we know eachother but that's it, and she never wanted this cat to begin with and it shows, when I go over the cat loves me because id give her food she can eat easily and I would of taken her in if it wasn't for my 2 cats they are senior as well and medical bills get expensive.

My grandma took my trap without asking and is trying to trap the cat, but she's been trapped before and so I'm not surprised she isn't going in and I wanted to tell my grandma this but I haven't spoken to her in weeks. She is putting dry food in the trap which is the wrong thing to begin with so no wonder the cat won't go in.

My aunt and uncle moved in with their huge dog and the cat was forced to hide all the time so I can see why the cat won't come inside on her own because she clearly hasn't left the yard and wanders around just fine outside but even with back door left open she won't come in, I know its partly due to the dog now living there.

I have a drop trap but my grandma isn't talking to me so I didn't mention I even have that, I would have to go to her house to do it and she never invites me over.

The cat hasn't eaten as far as we know for 2 weeks and is visibly thin but my grandma refuses to give her any food, when its clear starving her still isn't enticing her to go in. My grandma is giving her a few days and says if she can't get her forget about her the cat is not hers anymore, just by what she said I know she truly could care less what happens to the cat.

I don't know what to do, its clear my grandma doesn't want the cat, I don't know anyone who would take her in. If I caught her my grandma will neglect her, if I don't she might starve. If my grandma didn't want her and I did trap her she would selfishly not let me give her to a responsible person.

The sad part, this cat was stolen from a neighbor years ago, and for what, just to not be wanted anymore? I wish there was a way I could trap her secretly if I knew someone would take care of her. :(

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi 

This is a very sad story and I am sorry you are going through this. Just FYI it is nearly certain the cat has found some food source or is getting something.  It is extremely unlikely she could have gone 2 weeks with no food.

Is there any way you can at least go over there and leave some wet food for the cat outside?

I am confused about how you know all these things your grandma has said if she is not talking to you.  Is there any way you can approach your grandmother and have a substantive conversation about any of this?

I am sorry you are going through this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi :wavey:

This is a very sad story and I am sorry you are going through this. Just FYI it is nearly certain the cat has found some food source or is getting something.  It is extremely unlikely she could have gone 2 weeks with no food.

Is there any way you can at least go over there and leave some wet food for the cat outside?

I am confused about how you know all these things your grandma has said if she is not talking to you.  Is there any way you can approach your grandmother and have a substantive conversation about any of this?

I am sorry you are going through this.
My grandma called my mom and mentioned what she was doing, she had come to my house and taken my trap when I wasn't home. Her and I don't get along and she is stubborn and old fashioned. I figured she can't be feeding the cat because she said she put food in the traps and the food wasn't touched. She hasn't asked for my help which means if I asked it would be a no, won't give me the benefit of being right.

I think what if she keeps waiting and the cat does starve, she said its visibly thin and the cat used to be overweight so I'm not doubting its not eating probably only gets water. Nobody has cats for her to steal food from.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still don't understand why you can't go over there and leave some food for the cat if you really think it is starving? I assume you have seen the cat because you seem to know it is much thinner than it was. Next time you go see it, can't you bring some food it will eat with you? If you are scared of seeing your grandma, can you have your mom do this? I don't understand the obstacle here especially since in your first post you said you've given the cat food it can eat in the past.

That said, again, there really is no doubt that the cat has some food source even if it is getting thinner. Cats really cannot make it two weeks without food.  They are not like humans or even dogs.  In the extremely  unlikely event that the cat really hasn't eaten in 2 weeks but is still alive, it would have severe feline hepatic lipidosis and in the absence of medical care (which it sounds like neither you or your grandma can or will pay for) is going to die anyway. I don't mean for that to sound harsh, but this is the medical reality.

Is there anything specific you are seeking advice about at this time? It seems like you are unwilling to approach your grandmother at all and you haven't offered any indication you are willing to help get the cat food.  You have said you aren't going to trap it.  I am not being sarcastic at all, but I don't understand exactly what kind of help you are seeking at this point.  Can you clarify this for us so we are better able to help advise you? 

for you and for kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still don't understand why you can't go over there and leave some food for the cat if you really think it is starving? I assume you have seen the cat because you seem to know it is much thinner than it was. Next time you go see it, can't you bring some food it will eat with you? If you are scared of seeing your grandma, can you have your mom do this? I don't understand the obstacle here especially since in your first post you said you've given the cat food it can eat in the past.

That said, again, there really is no doubt that the cat has some food source even if it is getting thinner. Cats really cannot make it two weeks without food.  They are not like humans or even dogs.  In the extremely unlikely event that the cat really hasn't eaten in 2 weeks but is still alive, it would have severe feline hepatic lipidosis and in the absence of medical care (which it sounds like neither you or your grandma can or will pay for) is going to die anyway. I don't mean for that to sound harsh, but this is the medical reality.

Is there anything specific you are seeking advice about at this time? It seems like you are unwilling to approach your grandmother at all and you haven't offered any indication you are willing to help get the cat food.  You have said you aren't going to trap it.  I am not being sarcastic at all, but I don't understand exactly what kind of help you are seeking at this point.  Can you clarify this for us so we are better able to help advise you? 

:vibes: for you and for kitty.
I'll try to explain it better.

The whole reason I know all this information is my grandma had seen my parents at a wedding out of state last week and told them what happened, and again 2 days ago, but she is not home because she is helping my cousin move to Alaska. My uncle is at the house so he is in charge I guess, but he rarely picks up the phone he lets the messages go to voicemail. My grandmas house is about 50 minutes away, I don't drive, my mom works all week, and my dad has an injury so none of us can get to my grandmas house, if my grandma wanted me there or my help she would of asked or offered to pick me up, like I said we aren't close at all. What's it telling you she was out of state for 5 days while the cat was loose and could care less.
I know the cat likes me when I would be over my grandmas with family for Christmas.
And I don't see how the cat is eating, unless my grandma is putting food out, but she has not said otherwise, and when she's home I could say put food out or trap this way, but if I'm not there no guarantee it will get done, she will listen if she wants to. She knows I've trapped like 20 cats to get fixed, I probably could get the cat, you think she would ask me for help, no. In the past she has "released" cats that got sick she didn't want anymore, so I think she did this on purpose and is doing everything wrong not to get the cat.

So you see even if I wanted to try and trap I can't right now, and even if I do get her, what's to say my grandma isn't going to do this again or neglect her, she doesn't believe in vets and the cat is 14, it's going to die at home like her others did.

I was looking for some rescue to step in but nobody understands why I want someone to take my grandmas cat away, if I knew someone would take really good care of her and give her a stress free life she would be better off with them.