horrible kitten behavior! at wits end

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are saying. My first experience with cats was two orphaned kittens that I bottle fed. They did exactly everything you described. It was hard to teach a kitten when you don't know how an adult cat behaves.

Some things that I learned that might help:

Get those plastic bendable straws and have them handy everywhere. Any time Train starts to bite or go for your food, give him a straw. I tied a few straws together to look like a spider---big hit. This redirects the unwanted behavior.

Blow air in his face if he goes after your food or bites face, then hiss at him and put him down. This worked well, gentle blows so not to take his breath away.

For chasing your feet, tie a string around your ankle with a tiny toy (or straw) tied to the string. You can tie a metal bolt or washer to the string to weigh it down so it will drag behind you. This redirects the bad behavior to the toy that you are moving around and not the feet.

One of mine will still dart to an opening door. Cat curiosity. Got to know what's on the other side. I just back out the doors so I can scoop kitty back away from the door and crack the door coming in to scoot kitty back in. They will get bored with this.

Scratching will be important before long. Have a couple of different textures handy.

Neutering will be important before long. Around the 6 month mark he will start to mature. If he sees or smells other cats around at night (you will not necessarily see what he does) he may start to spray to mark his territory. They 'can' get aggressive at that age too. Neutering will stop that.

My last orphan suddenly started changing at that age and I got him neutered ASAP. He is now back to his old sweet self.

You are doing a great jod. Like everyone said, you have to be the momma and teach him correct kitty etiquette.
It will get easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandakay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah, it would definally help if I had ever even been around an adult cat then i would know to to respond better to train being naughty. You guys helped alot. I am putting all of your tips to good use!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mandakay

I dont want to stunt his growth neutering him so young.
The Winn foundation did a study on early altering and found that cats who were altered at a younger age were larger, taller and longer than those altered late (Of course genetics also plays a part in how big your cat will be)

Another benefit of having them done young is they recover from the surgery much faster, often coming home from the vet ready to play like nothing has happened.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty was like that!!! We took him to the vet, he would have been done at the rescue place but couldn't due to cat flu. So, we took him in and we had both taken a day off and were really nervous for the little lad. We went off to distract ourselves (i might add that bf was more anxious than me
) When we went to pick him up, we thought he would be a bit sorry for himself, but nope
He was running and playing and bouncing around, you'' never have thought that he had just had his bits removed
Bless

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mandakay

I am not sure if I want to neuter him. But if it is what is best than I will do it. I dont want to stunt his growth neutering him so young.
That's an old wives' tale. Bijou was neutered at 4 months and he's 18+ lbs and has a lovely masculine muzzle. Mika, his full sister, is 8+ lbs and as feminine looking as you can imagine.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The kitten is just being a kitten. Be consistant in rules boundries and limitations (I know, I sound like Caesar Milan), and he will, in time, learn what behavior is acceptable and what is not. Give him acceptable ways to work out his energy, and when he is behaving unacceptably, redirect.