Horrible Dining Experience!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh now that makes better sense. Sorry my brain is still on the yummy phase of the evening after eating dinner. LOL

That is actually a really great idea. And something I can really agree with because if that were the case than servers could also get raises like a regular employee instead of staying with a place for a long amount of time and never getting a raise in tips or hourly pay.

I would totally get on board with that happening in the states. Especially my area.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

In general gratuity is only added for groups of 8 or more. Atleast thats the rule of thumb I have always seen around here. I have never gone out with a group that large but I have waited on large groups and wow is that tasking sometimes. I can understand the gratuity being added but sometimes when you get a really demanding group the gratuity does not add up to the work that was done.
Yes, I think about 18% added on is typical for a large group. We run into that all the time with our hot rod club, when we have our meetings. However, generally the servers would come out better if they just let us tip normally; most of us can afford to do a good deal better than 18% in a demanding situation like that.

I'm just thinking here: If a typical meal at, say, the Olive Garden is $30 for two people, adding tip in (by raising the price of everything) would raise that to something like $36. Of course, the restaurant would want to make a profit on that, too, so the server wouldn't really be getting it all, but exchanging it for a set wage would certainly help such people. There are good reasons why the wait staff at so many restaurants is constantly in flux.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Yes, I think about 18% added on is typical for a large group. We run into that all the time with our hot rod club, when we have our meetings. However, generally the servers would come out better if they just let us tip normally; most of us can afford to do a good deal better than 18% in a demanding situation like that.
Thats something I would agree with. One place I worked at I had the option to include gratuity or not for large tables. There was a certain group where I would add gratuity knowing full well that I would make out better adding it rather than leave them tip themselves. Another group I would leave off the gratuity because I made out better than adding it.

Most places though dont give the servers the option to choose not to add the gratuity charge. Especially big chain restaurants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nearly every restaurant I've been to has fine print at the bottom of the menu saying that groups of 8-10+ people has a gratuity of 15-20% added on, depending on the restaurant. I agree with it to an extent - I've been in different situations with it.

One time we were out with a large group of friends, our server was terrible but it didn't matter to her because she would get a 20% tip anyways. I think there were 10 of us, she took our orders, brought us our drinks really late, our meals all came at different times, after we got our food we didn't see her again until it was time for the bill and she was really rude the few times that we did see her.

Another time we were out with the same group of friends somewhere else, our server was very nice and friendly, dealt with everything in stride and was constantly checking up on us, refilling our drinks, asking us if everything was alright, brought our meals all out at the same time, etc. We did tip her on top of the 15% that was added - she made about $150 plus the 15% tip which was around $50. We were in and out in about an hour and a half. She definitely deserved that tip.

I would normally agree with having the tip added in to the price of the meals so that the servers would make a consistant wage, however, then what happens to those servers that just don't give a hoot? They aren't impacted by it, even if the clients don't tip on top of what they make, and most people just suck up bad service so would the management/owner even know? What if that server is a relative or friend? Would it matter then? Just something to think about...

Server wage here is less than minimum wage - I think it's $8 something an hour and minimum wage is $10.25. One of our friends is currently a server, on a bad night she averages about $20/hr and on good nights she averages $50-60+/hr and she just started there a few months ago, so she's not all that great at it yet, lol. She does have to total her tips at the end of the night to give the kitchen their percentage, but it doesn't have any effect on her paycheck and at the end of the year, when she does her taxes, she will have to claim some amount. No one ever claims what they actually make...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have gone in some truck stops where some of the waitresses were actually making more than the truck drivers they were waiting on, and some were making less than minimum wage when it was all said and done. Guess what the difference was between them!
I have friends who work at truck stops. . .mostly it has to do with how pretty they are and how far down they unbutton their blouse. . .

I have never had terrible service that was the server's fault. But I really can't stand a fawning server. When my mom and I go out, just the 2 of us, the nicer restaurants always send us a cute flirty waiter, and they always try just a little too hard (my mom is a great tipper and evidently looks like it). I do NOT want to be interrupted every 3 minutes by the waiter wondering if we need something, I don't want the waiter to flirt with anybody at the table (once we had a gay waiter who openly flirted with my brother! Who isn't gay!), I don't want him to kneel down next to the table when taking our order, and I definitely don't want any touching! (Some of them have put a hand on my shoulder/arm, and honestly I've come this close to smacking them). I prefer a more businesslike server, thanks. Not too chatty.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was stationed in Germany in the late 70s and 80s. Tipping wasn't done there for any of the people that we normally tip here. I did two tours there and we went through an orientation program both times on German customs. We were told that tipping was actually considered impolite. I have a feeling that no one would've been offended if we had tipped them though.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep reading all these horror stories and I feel like I was some kind of freak show server. LOL

I didnt care if the people coming in were old young whatever. I treated everyone with respect and gauging off the initial greeting either gave them space or chatted them up a little bit. I love working in customer service and I love the people even if they were pains in the butts. I always had regulars who I knew by name and they knew me and never did they ever need to remind of their drinks or orders. But I always worked hard to remember the people that came in frequently but didnt request servers to give them a reason to keep coming back. I had pain in the butt tables that made me want to rip my hair out and scream like a banshee but the good always outweighed the bad. Even when I was crazy busy and had no time to think I always made sure my section was taken care of and since I oversaw the entire half the restaurant I was in I always checked the other sections too because without our customers we didnt have jobs and I wanted my job.

I wish the bad servers would quit and stop giving the good servers bad names. If I ever can open my own restaurant and I had someone working for me that just once acted in any way shape or form like most of you have described they would be out on their butts before they could blink. I would never tolerate that kind of behavior as a higher up in a restaurant. They need to remember the customers are what gives them a job and if they want their money honey they better work for it and put a dang smile on their faces and do their jobs right.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm just thinking here: If a typical meal at, say, the Olive Garden is $30 for two people, adding tip in (by raising the price of everything) would raise that to something like $36. Of course, the restaurant would want to make a profit on that, too, so the server wouldn't really be getting it all, but exchanging it for a set wage would certainly help such people. There are good reasons why the wait staff at so many restaurants is constantly in flux.
I know what you're saying about paying more than the included tip. but I have to say, being a waiter and a bartender at a very upscale place (where youd assume they tip well) when I was in college? the few people that tip well at large tables wouldn't make up for the plethora of dirtbags that pretend they don't notice they aren't leaving a tip.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

No one ever claims what they actually make...
And right there is the reason why many servers would be opposed to "Tips Included" policies. But there are good reasons to do away with that system.

Just as an aside, that is one of the best arguments for a national sales tax, instead of an income tax.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also to add to that. Nobody ever claiming what they make is what led to the IRS now setting income tax based on a percentage of your food sales over the year

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand why some people never claimed their tips or atleast the correct amount. The last place I worked the managers actually taught the servers how to cheat on their tip reporting. I never did because the last thing I wanted was to end up paying out of pocket come tax time. I always claimed my full tips because the days I made oodles made up for the days I made crap and come tax time I got a good amount back still. I did just fine without my paychecks coming and the few that I got that had an amount on them werent worth cashing but I just deposited the dollar or so into the bank and figured what the heck.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I sometimes wonder if people realize that servers don't have to be paid the same minimum wage as people who do not routinely get tips
Things must be different in the USA then. In Canada there is a set minimum wage amount that must be adhered to. In Manitoba where I live, Minimum wage is set at $10.00 and a worker cannot be paid less than that, no matter what their job, tips or no tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Things must be different in the USA then. In Canada there is a set minimum wage amount that must be adhered to. In Manitoba where I live, Minimum wage is set at $10.00 and a worker cannot be paid less than that, no matter what their job, tips or no tips.
It's different in Ontario, servers make about $2 less than minimum wage.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Technically, American servers get the minimum wage. They are supposed to report their tips. If they don't get enough tips, in theory, the restaurant is supposed to make it up, but I don't think that comes up very often. It's a complicated system.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I was stationed in Germany in the late 70s and 80s. Tipping wasn't done there for any of the people that we normally tip here. I did two tours there and we went through an orientation program both times on German customs. We were told that tipping was actually considered impolite. I have a feeling that no one would've been offended if we had tipped them though.
They actually misinformed you then. Gratuities are included, but it's customary to round up, and even to add a little bit to that amount for good service. What I mean is, if your bill is €47.50, €50 would be the "proper" amount to pay, and you might add another €3 - €5. It's common to tip hairdressers and taxi drivers a few euros, too.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went out to dinner last night with some friends. I got an e-mail from them this morning to check our credit card charges; sure enough, they charged us the basic amount (no tip) twice, but didn't put in the final charge (with tip). My guess is someone messed up in keying in the tipped amount, put in the untipped amount again, and didn't delete the original temporary amount.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The tipping thing confuses me so much! There is one restaurant we do tip and genrously to its our Chinese place, we always round up with take aways and taxis but that's normally coppers

But if we are in the local pub having lunch I don't and I will complain if the food is bad and if the staff are not that good to we have a national minimum wage so to me I need to be treat like royalty somewhere to tip like they do in the Chinese place

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to say except people go to restaurants for the food but they return for the service.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I prefer to tip according to service as I don't think it is fair the really good servers to be rewarded the same as the poor servers. And great servers can really make up for all of the things to go wrong.

When I was in Cedar Rapids, IA for a month of company business, I was eating out all of the time. The service in the hotel restaurant was deplorable. We would have waits up to 30 minutes to get the check. The tips went from 15% to 10%. We went to a local restaurant where the service was fantastic and our tips were 25%. It irked me that because the meal prices, the bad servers were getting more $ at 10% than the great servers were at 25%. If our hours had allowed it, we would have eaten at the local restaurant more. Unfortunately, the hotel restaurant was the only one open when we worked the longer days.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How outdated is this system seriously? We don't do "tipping" in my country, on a big scale. My friend works at one of the most prestigious restaurants in Wellington city and she does receive tips as a waitress but at the average restaurant here you are never expected to give a tip. Our minimum wage currently it is $13.00 (NZD) which is equivalent to $10.80 (USD). That is paid regardless of the performance of the waitstaff or the prices on the menu.