Horrible Diaper Rash!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
when my daughter was a baby she had an allergic reaction to a proprietary cream used at nappy changing time here. Her entire nappy (diaper) area became extremely inflamed and needed treatment with hydrocortisone cream, it was terrible, like a burn and a lot of her skin peeled away.

We allowed the area to breathe at nappy change for 10 minutes and then applied a barrier of vaseline (petroleum jelly) to prevent anything from a soiled nappy getting through to her skin. it worked wonders and cleared up in just a few days.

I don't know whether it will help your baby - I hope so. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The diaper rash has all but disappeared this morning, We picked up the prescription, Nystatin, last night and after only one treatment, its pretty much cleared. At least you can wipe it without bleeding. The pharmacist said that Nystatin is almost identical to Lotrimin-AF (the stuff for athlete's foot). Both treat fungal rashes, and Lotrimin is fairly cheap over the counter. Next time, I'll likely try the Lotrimin first, before resorting to the prescription! Thanks for all the advice!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

The diaper rash has all but disappeared this morning, We picked up the prescription, Nystatin, last night and after only one treatment, its pretty much cleared. At least you can wipe it without bleeding. The pharmacist said that Nystatin is almost identical to Lotrimin-AF (the stuff for athlete's foot). Both treat fungal rashes, and Lotrimin is fairly cheap over the counter. Next time, I'll likely try the Lotrimin first, before resorting to the prescription! Thanks for all the advice!
Nystatin is for a yeast infection. Since it worked so quickly, that confirms that she had a yeast infection (poor baby). Just hold onto the tube of Nystatin-it should stay good for a while. If you get a rash that looks the same as this one, use it! Otherwise, the other pointers are the best way to treat a basic diaper rash.

I'm so glad to hear the rash is gone!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Beckiboo is right, Nystatin is for yeast infections. My nephew gets them all the time... from antibiotics that he has to take regularly. Poor baby.
I agree that air time is good for the tushy...even without a rash.

My other concern would be the diarhea, even with teething, there are things you can feed/not feed to stop/prevent diarhea... the 1st would be stop with the juice. Juice loosens your stool, and is good to give for constipation. It's also loaded with sugar (read the labels, most have more than a chocolate bar), and sugar will dehydrate, as will the diarhea, so the baby needs to keep hydrated. So no more juice, just water (pedialyte will work as well). Also, feed binding foods when they have diarhea... no fruit except banannas, every other fruit acts as a natural laxative, except banannas, they will bind you. Cheese, this will also bind your child, and crackers or bread type foods, they will bind your baby. So even grilled cheese, or mac & cheese. So for brkfst you can even do a bananna smootie w/milk. Every baby I know will go for this! They will think it's a milkshake!
I only know all of this cause my SIL is going to school to be a nurse, also works for a pediatrician, and my nephew has gotten every thing under the sun from colic to acid reflux, to every possible virus imaginable...

meowsas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so gald its gone.
phew its so stressful hurting them while cleaning.
yeah
for happy bottoms!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowsas

Oh I am so gald its gone.
phew its so stressful hurting them while cleaning.
yeah
for happy bottoms!
Oh I hate having to do it. She screams and her little legs just shake, that's why when its really bad, I just put her in lukewarm water with baking soda. Its soothing and it makes it easy to get the poopies off!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. I actually got some Burt's Bees at my baby shower, and it really doesn't seem to be more effective than desitin or even the Wal-Mart brand of Desitin (at least not for the price difference.)

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

Thanks for the link. I actually got some Burt's Bees at my baby shower, and it really doesn't seem to be more effective than desitin or even the Wal-Mart brand of Desitin (at least not for the price difference.)
Ah okay...that's good to know for future reference.