Horner's Syndrome with Upper Respiratory Infection

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Grace has had an upper respiratory infection on and off for the past 2 months. She was on 2 rounds of antibiotics for it that seemed to help (coughing cleared up), but then this month it got worse-- 3rd eyelid showing, goopy eyes, sounds congested, and has goopy ears. We took her to the vet and she had a fever of 104. She spent the night and they gave her prednisone and an IV antibiotic and fluids. She improved greatly. They sent her home with ear medication as she has very yucky ears (pulled out some crusted stuff from inside). Bloodwork is fine.

Well, she wasn't eating at home and is still so congested so we brought her back today. She no longer has a fever but they want her back on prednisone for inflammation and to help her appetite. Her ears are still really yucky and one of her eyes doesn't blink. The vet said this is Horner's Syndrome and worries it's caused by a tumor of some sort. But I've read Horner's can be caused by a bad inner ear infection so I am hoping that's it. Considering she's been having a hard time fighting this URI and has impacted ears, it seems like it could be caused by the infection. We are so worried it could be a tumor.

Has anyone else dealt with Horner's and upper respiratory infections?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the other discussions! It seems like others have had this happen with respiratory infections.

She is doing a bit better today-- up and around more and eating more! She's got one more day of injectable antibiotic (tomorrow) and she's going to stay on the prednisone for a while. She's on eye drops and ear drops-- poor girl! She still sounds congested, but the ear drops seem to be helping her ears drain. Her 3rd eyelid is still up and she can't blink, but she's definitely doing better.

We're crossing our fingers and paws it's not a tumor, but just a bad infection!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know and hopefully this is the beginning of a recovery for her. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm about to call the vet and give an update on Grace. She's pretty much the same. Her eyes look the same, and her ears are always draining. She's still VERY congested (sounds like a pig snorting around-- we keep teasing her about that) but she has had a respiratory infection that hung on for a couple of months and probably precipitated the ear infection.

She wants to eat and is eating better, BUT she's having a hard time. Food falls out of her mouth and she has a bad tooth we've been keeping an eye on for a few months, so she "crunches" on the side when she eats. We've tried all kinds of wet food. She eats about half of what we put in front of her, which is maybe good for a cat who is so sick and getting medications etc. Otherwise she is getting around great and not acting very sick-- wants lots of love right now.

Our vet does think it could be polyp related and they don't specialize in those, but we have another vet in the area who does and we can see them. But I want to give this more than just a week to clear up. Anyone have any ideas how long it should take for her to feel better with this? She already finished 1 round of injectable antibiotics.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When I have had cats with uncomplicated URIs, they responded to medication very quickly. Since there are other possible issues, I would maybe give it one more round of the antibiotics if she remains comfortable. If it all starts to break down, call the vet and let them know. Polyps can cause lots of issues if they are not treated. You have already given this two months which is certainly a fair amount of time if this could be resolved by meds.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start her on DMG by Vertiscience for building up her immune system, it couldn't hurt. Since starting my cats on it for frequent URI's they are MUCH better. Get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, I keep this around in case one stops eating. It is a lickable treat and they love it!