Horned paws?

Jenobi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is not polydactyl. Her front paws are horned. They are like carabeaners. Lol. I try to cut her regular claws and it's a massive growling fight. Not that it hurts, she's just fussy. I have had the vet trim them down, no problem. She's never in pain and is healthy.
Don't worry about it. Take your cat in for a trim once and a while. "Spa Day for Kitty" -- Mani pedi.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little Speedy started getting a couple of them last year (when she was age 15). My vet called them keratin fronds, she said they are harmless and as long as they are not making Speedy lame we should just leave them be. She didn't want to trim them because they might bleed and they are not bothering Speedy anyway. They vet said they also might just fall off or Speedy might bite them off. But no, they are still there.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I baby sat a dog once that had a very large one growing from his tail. It was so weird. Just growing out of the side of his tail. Apparently it didn’t do much and was just there so I doubt they’re much to worry about. Expecially if the vet didn’t seem to notice. I guess humans can even grow these thing out of random places. they’ve been found growing in uteruses and inside other organs. Strange the way bodies work

CrazyDiamond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty is a dilute calico who was adopted when she was about 2-3. When we first had her she wasn't in the best health; had been suspected of having IBD and was being treated as such (incl. steroids). Never tested positive for FeLV or FIV though. I noticed back then that she'd had them and at the time they were slightly longer and also dry looking. If picked at or lightly trimmed, they would pretty much come right off. Now that I have worked with her to get her on a diet that works for her belly, she's 95% + symptom-free most of the time and I did observe that since she's been healthier they don't seem to happen as much and the ones that do are small and stay white in color. I asked about it at the vet once, and the tech that looked told me her cat had something similar from friction (like a callus, I'm thinking is what she meant), but this doesn't appear to be the same thing.