Hoping my Pearl really is okay...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Have I mentioned how precious this little girl is?
Every post about her tells us how special she is.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Have I mentioned how precious this little girl is?
nope, maybe you should tell us some more

once again, she has gotten a little better today. I Hope that she keeps getting better and better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was a day of reckoning for Pearl. She was walking so well that I let her be free in the kitchen while I worked on things at the table (with the door closed, to keep other kitties from worrying her). I watched her walk around and stare up at the countertops with such longing, poor thing... but I was ready to run and stop her if she tried to jump.

Well, I wasn't quick enough. She did make an attempt -- and she whacked against the cabinet and slid back down. It wasn't a hard hit, and she didn't seem to be hurt, but oh, how sad she was! I petted her for awhile and told her she was a brave little girl, and then went back to the table. Pearl just stood there in the middle of the kitchen, looking around at the counters... and finally, in the silence, she let out one plaintive little "Mrrraow?" and went off to curl up in a little bed in the corner. Poor little darlin'!

But after that, she stopped trying to jump on anything higher than a chair seat, and she seems to be able to do that without any trouble. She's very hesitant about jumping back down, though -- I've been trying to keep up with her and lift her down as much as possible.

At night, Pearl surely likes having me all to herself in the bedroom! Oh, the lovin' I get!
But poor Clydie misses us, I think... he keeps giving me these deep, meaningful gazes, as if to say, "Don't you love me anymore?" I think maybe it'll be all right to let him in with us tonight... he's been a perfect gentleman toward her all day.
(Which is more than I can say for St. John, who thinks Pearl is the very best toy in the house, and tackled her once when Mom accidentally let him in the kitchen! Little hellion!
)

Tomorrow, I'll call the vet and see if they think she's making reasonable progress, or if we should do another round of anti-inflammatories, perhaps. I'm so worried that living with this added vulnerability may change her sunny little personality... I know it takes time to heal, but... oh, I just want so much for her to be well! I'm sure you all know how that feels.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sounds like she's doing GREAT! When our Sassy had that, she was probably under the weather about a week. I was surprised at how quickly she healed. I hope Pearl keeps up the great progress!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woohooooooo!
Well, sorta -- despite my best efforts at keeping Pearl from climbing on anything, I lost sight of her for about a minute this afternon and looked up to see her on top of the big bookshelves in the living room!

So woohoo, because she can get up there... and drat, because she did!
I went over and stood on a chair to get her down, so she wouldn't jump... and she hasn't shown any interest in the shelves since then, so that's good. I guess she just needed to know she could do it!

She still has weakness in her right back leg, but obviously she's doing much, much better, and I'm so grateful. I left a message for the vet to call me tomorrow, so I can ask whether there's anything more we can do to help her heal, and whether she should be examined again. But I think she's going to be okay now, and I thank you all so much for your moral support and vibes for my little girl!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news about Pearl! Pearl stop scaring mommy and let yourself heal before you jump high again!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad she's doing better! And good luck keeping her off high places!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is making remarkable progress. What a well love kitty you have and she definately knows it. I get a chuckle just picturing her strolling around the kitchen with you trailing behind, ready to lift her magesty anywhere she wants to go. What a little princess! I hope that she continues to get stronger everyday!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Very good news - she'll soon adjust to her new abilities.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh... I thought this thread was pretty much finished, because Pearl is clearly recovering well, and I really think she'll be 100% eventually. But last night...

Everyone had gone to bed but me, and I was working on the computer. Pearl and Clyde were both sleeping on the floor around my feet, and Pearl had been so good, no climbing, no jumping...

So around 3:00am, I shut down the computer and started going around the house, making sure everything was secure. While I was in the kitchen, I heard this horrible crash in the living room. I ran in and saw Dylan looking up from his usual nighttime position on the sofa, Clyde standing in the other doorway, looking around alarmed... and my father's beautiful scale replica of a Civil War cannon, which he bought at Gettysburg, broken into two pieces on the floor.

It had been displayed on top of one of the two five-foot bookcases that flank the three big six-and-a-half-foot bookcases along one wall. Pearl's usual climbing route has always been up the big burgundy chair, across to the shorter bookcase on the right, up to the top of the big bookcases where the ships are, across and down to the other shorter bookcase, and then a grand leap across the hallway to the credenza. I guess she decided to try it again while I wasn't there to interfere, and because of her weakness, wasn't able to make her usual graceful landing... and the cannon went flying.

I searched for Pearl first, and couldn't find her anywhere, which terrified me, of course. But I was also terrified that my father might have heard the crash and be making his way out from his room, and I didn't want him to see the broken cannon. Ever since he developed Alzheimer's, keepsakes like that mean so much to him... I just didn't want to face it. So I gathered the cannon up and stashed it in the laundry room.

When I came back out, Pearl was sitting on the spot where the cannon had landed, her head down, gazing up at me sadly. She looked for all the world as if she was saying "I'm sorry." I was just so glad to see her in one piece! I picked her up carefully and carried her to bed and curled up with her and cried. Just cried, for fear of all the ways she could get hurt if I can't stop her climbing things, and fear of how my father would react to the cannon being broken, and I guess also just because it was 3:00 in the morning and I was exhausted and everything seemed bigger and worse than it really was, y'know?

And bless little Pearl, she nuzzled me and made biscuits on me and rubbed her cheeks against mine to dry my face. After awhile, Clydie came in and nosekissed me and then curled up against my middle, closer than his usual leg-wrap position, so he was being extra-sweet, too.
I don't know how I ever got so lucky as to have these wonderful kitties in my life.

This morning, I inspected the cannon... its metal crossbar is snapped right in two near one hub, but it's a clean break. I'll try to find someone to solder it together for me... maybe a hobbyshop owner or something. I'd hoped to get it fixed before my father ever noticed, but he found the wooden ramrod from it lying on the floor -- I'd missed it -- and realized the cannon was gone, so I had to tell him what happened. He took it better than I feared he might... probably because he's a pushover for Pearl's pretty green eyes, and just couldn't get mad at her.

And Pearl was good alllll day today. No climbing, no jumping, no major destruction of property.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poorp Pearl and poor you. I am so glad your father was so understanding. I am sure you will be able to get it fixed!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh dear - two steps forward and one leap backwards. Hopefully, she is learning what her new limits are. I'm sorry to hear about the cannon and hope you can find someone to fix it.