Hooray for The Cat Site + My Kneady Cat

rachelleb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't believe I'm just discovering this site now. I'm constantly googling my cat's antics. I have a 2 yr. old former-stray named Pip. I wasn't much of a cat person before we took her in, but I'm completely in love with her now because she has claimed me as her cuddle buddy and is apparently a mind controller! But there's this thing she does that is SO WEIRD that I was wondering if anyone has experienced...
It's somewhere between kneading and humping. She only does it when I'm sleeping on my stomach. She stands on my butt/upper thigh and kinda lets herself slide off so she straddles my leg over and over while kneading with front paws. She gets in a zone like she's hypnotized and might start drooling, and if she sees that I am awake/watching her, she stops and goes to her bed.
This doesn't really bother me unless I need to trim her nails, but it does seem a little too intense to be just kneading. It obviously relaxes her like kneading would. Also, she's fixed.
Does anyone know if this is humping or have any other explanation? I'm really just kind of weirded out by it because otherwise we can cuddle nose to nose but when she does it, she won't look me in the eye!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think she won't look you in the eye as she's in another 'zone'.. She wouldn't be 'humping' as such, as she's not the one who does that..

Whatever she's doing, she's obviously really enjoying herself.

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly this is the closest thing I've ever read to what my girl does, which I just posted about in another thread.  She does it to my arm not my leg, but she's little, like 6 pounds.  Also she keeps her front paws planted on either side and does the kneading with her back paws.  

I'm also hoping it's not a sexual thing.  Glad to see someone else witnessing a similar behavior though, my girls been doing it for four years!  She's also a stray rescue.  

Man does she get in the zone, like you said, and when I interrupt her she gets pissed and bites down on me hard, and holds.  But she still seems playful.  I swear their pscyhologies are almost as complex as ours....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelleb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Mani, for not judging :)

And lightblue, I saw your other post before realizing you posted here, too, but YES. We shall no longer be ashamed that we allow our cats to hump us. LOL.

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Mani, for not judging

And lightblue, I saw your other post before realizing you posted here, too, but YES. We shall no longer be ashamed that we allow our cats to hump us. LOL.
Haha I swear she's not humping, just being a weirdo.  You should hear her talk when it doesn't go the way she wants.  Sassy little thing.