Hooligan on Raw - His adventure

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have decided to track (both online and in a journal) Hooligan's journey into new proteins. I am directing him away from Chicken and Horse, and into Rabbit, Venison and some fishes. I am slowly introducing grass-fed animals into his diet. 

He is currently eat ground rabbit (Rabbit muscle meat, rabbit carcass, rabbit liver, rabbit kidney). The rabbit is organic, steroid-free and grass-fed. I get it from here (http://www.baileyblu.com/raw/our-blends/). 

If you have read previous threads, you will see what he has a bout of scabby/dry skin just above his ears (near his eyebrows). I have yet to know what it is BUT, since I started giving him the rabbit (about 2-3 days) - I have noticed he is scratching less and the scabs (which were once bloody) are now crusting over and clearing up.I have still made an appointment at the vet, for a skin sample to be tested to see if it is a fungus. 

Unfortunately, I still have to alternate between his HC mix and the rabbit for the meantime. I do not want him to solely eat Rabbit  - this is because, when given a single protein for an extended period of time, it irritates his GI tract and he cannot handle his hairballs well. 

Therefore...

DAY 1

Breakfast:

Rabbit Mix

Lunch:

Rabbit Mix

Dinner:

Rabbit Mix

Taurine

1/2 Egg Yolk Lecithin Capsule

1/2 Probiotic 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I do is:  print a calendar for the month.  Then write (in pencil) what protein I fed, what supplements I give (Krill oil is a few times a week); in red ink, I write "bone" and [amount].  I also indicate when Ritz has had a BM (in green ink).  I also write notes such as "threw up" or "PIA--hungry".  Then at a quick glance I can spot when I need to feed bone, when I need to get off the breast/beef kick, and can note any patterns (PIA = too much low fat meat)

Good luck and happy journaling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I do is:  print a calendar for the month.  Then write (in pencil) what protein I fed, what supplements I give (Krill oil is a few times a week); in red ink, I write "bone" and [amount].  I also indicate when Ritz has had a BM (in green ink).  I also write notes such as "threw up" or "PIA--hungry".  Then at a quick glance I can spot when I need to feed bone, when I need to get off the breast/beef kick, and can note any patterns (PIA = too much low fat meat)

Good luck and happy journaling.
This is Probably something I should look into. 

Thanks for the advice!

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HOOLIGAN UPDATE 

He's been off chicken for almost 2 weeks now and, though I haven't noticed any new scabs, his head is still a little scabby (especially when he gets his cone off and scratches at it). 

It's been 3 days since I've been mixing in some venison (unnoticed!!! 
) in his raw meat. So far so good, I am going to be putting less and less of his Rabbit or Horse, so he can just get full venison 

I just can't wait to get him off of that darn horse meat! 

Today is his vet appointment too. I'm quite nervous that he may need to get on steroids for his skin breakouts...

Ugh. 

Last edited by a moderator:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems your boy likes red meat! :clap: Given he may have an issue with chicken, that's good. :lol3:

...and you can try the Dermoscent or the colloidal silver before trying the pred. :nod: Take the scrip - and hold off using it until you've tried the other, more natural, options. :nod:

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope so! We're pretty close to him being alright with it! And only then, I can FINALLY get rid of the horse. 

I'll see what the vet says, as you mentioned, I probably won't take the prescription right away and if I do, I will definitely go through my holistic vet first.

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
VET VISIT UPDATE 

So, the vet confirmed my suspicions regarding Hooligan's fur loss/scabbing. He was pretty sure it wasn't ticks or mites, and to him, it definitely looked like seasonal allergies (especially this time of year). He gave him a .5ml shot of depo-medrol and said this should clear him up in 2-3 days. Although it stay in the body for 14 days, it said it should prepare him for the upcoming allergy months and, he should be fine.

He ate 1/2 rabbit and 1/2 venison today. 

He licked it all up!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you'll find out for sure now if it's allergies or what. :nod: If the depo works, you have an answer! :clap:

How's he doing today? I don't remember Tuxedo's dose on depo (he needed it for immune suppression, so completely different situation), but it did make him a bit hyper and aggressive for the first few days after he got his shot. :rolleyes: I'm sure Hooligan will be fine. :cross: :vibes:

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, you'll find out for sure now if it's allergies or what.
If the depo works, you have an answer!

How's he doing today? I don't remember Tuxedo's dose on depo (he needed it for immune suppression, so completely different situation), but it did make him a bit hyper and aggressive for the first few days after he got his shot.
I'm sure Hooligan will be fine.
I really hope this is the answer!

I left for work in the morning and Hooligan seemed fine! He ate all his food, used his litterbox and even played with Ruby for a bit. 

Really, nothing was very different with him?

EDIT: OH! And he seemed EXTRA cuddly last night while my boyfriend and I were watching a movie. 

Same old guy otherwise!

Last edited:

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HOOLIGAN UPDATE 

He is eating venison! I never thought I'd see the day! I'm so excited about this new development I might even try to get Ruby off the damn chicken and onto a different protein (she is just WAY more picky though - ugh). But YAY!

Also, his scabs have cleared up REALLY nicely - I guess it was seasonal allergies after all! And, with the added stress, I figure that didn't help either. Today was his first day in 1 week without his cone - he was SO happy. Running and yelling, I'm so excited to see him doing better. Just a couple more hairs have to grow back and he will be back to normal! YAY!

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is all GREAT news!
I know!

I'm pretty excited with the results and Hooligan is pretty happy not to wear that cone on his head all day!