Homeowners' Association... do you have one?

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Wow, I live in a condo with an HOA, but mine is nothing like that! Our rules are no more strict than any apartment complex I've lived in (clean up after your dogs, probably the "worst" is no big huge signs in front of your place). And my dues go to things like repaving the parking lot someday, or the new paint on the exterior of the place, or the exterior insurance in case something awful happens, and regular maintenance like mowing and trimming the hedges.

I guess I'm really lucky!
Same here. We lived in a downtown high rise condo with an HOA. All of them are also owners of the building. This is great because any fee increase and every decision they made will impact themselves as well. I do not need to clean windows, mow lawn, shovel snow, and other maintenance an owner has to do outside the house. Our assessment also include small repair in the house (water leaks, replace faucet...etc). When I add all these up I think it's totally worth it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I are looking to buy in about a year or so, and we WILL NOT buy in a neighborhood with a home owndes association if we can help it. We'd prefer to buy several acers, of which most will remain or become forrested (they've cut down soooo many trees here!!!) and our neighbors will be a decent distance away from us. I can't wait!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am ever fortunate enough to be able to buy a house, I intend to stay as far away from HOAs as I can get! There's very little my neighbors can do to upset me that would not already be covered under the law, so if I have trouble, I'll call the police.

And for those things that are not illegal -- well, I'll be darned if I'm going to put myself under the authority of some little Committee of the Terminally Persnickety just so I'll have someone to complain to when my neighbor paints his house purple!

And I sure wish I'd been around when that fellow with the gargoyle was dealing with his paranoid HOA ladies. I would have informed those brilliant religious historians that, far from being Satanic, gargoyles were originally placed on the outsides of buildings (including churches) to scare away demons! SHEESH!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Do you live in a property with a homeowners association? (Or a condominium association...)
Definitely a NO

3. If no, did you actively seek a neighborhood without one or did it just end up that way?
Rob & I made sure any homes we looked into were not in part of a subdivision or had HOA involved. The fines are ridiculous, and I'm not paying money to swim in a pool that probably is getting peed in, and nasty, that my entire neighborhood is going to share.