Homeopathic treatment for cat seizures?

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all. My 13-year-old male cat has been having seizures, usually months apart, but had one last night just a day short of 3 weeks since the last.
When he had his first one early last year I took him to the vet, he had blood work, but they couldn't find anything wrong. I've heard that the meds they use for seizures can cause serious side effects; I'd prefer to try something natural first. Has anyone tried anything successfully? Most of the products I see for cats & dogs seem to have reviews primarily regarding use on dogs. THANKS SO MUCH! Louise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Recommendations likely would depend on why he is having seizures. CBD oil might work, but maybe not for all types of seizures. Do you know what is causing them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No idea, and blood test showed nothing more than mild dehydration. Thanks for your reply.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The blood tests would only look for seizures related to things like renal/liver function and perhaps, how extensive the blood work is, it might pick up on other possible metabolic issues (just one example would be hyperthyroidism, but there are others that could be detected with more extensive blood testing). Has the vet considered looking for vascular issues, just one of which would be hypertension? Scans probably would be needed to see if there is an issue in the vessels within his head, and possibly other parts of his body. Also, some older cats develop an unusual form of epilepsy brought on by noises that once weren't an issue for them.

If your vet isn't willing to pursue some additional possibilities, you might want to consider getting a second opinion, one from another practice. You can get a copy of all his records to share with the 2nd vet to help reduce redundant testing and associated costs.

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They did mention they were going to check his thyroid with that blood test. Right now with the lock-down I can't even be with him while he's examined; just hand him over at the door. But I will take him if he has another sooner rather than the usual (months) later. Thanks!

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to mention that I got on video the tail end of the previous seizure, and it appears to be grand mal. He defecates and/or urinates during it, and afterwards cries and has a string of spittle hanging out of his mouth. I'm afraid the vet would put him on a med that would do more harm than good in the long run, especially as he's a senior.