Homeless Cat

Sunbury

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding a homeless cat for a few months now, when I first started feeding him. ( we call him Charlie) he was skin over bones, I can get within a foot of him feeding him treats but he wants nothing to do with the food in the trap. Its going to get cold out soon, I just want him inside now where its warm and safe, He's a young boy and I just know once he's in he would adapt quickly. I have 3 rescues already and I'm hoping to give this a a loving home as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunbury Sunbury - Be patient, and continue showing him a kind Heart, because in cats - as opposed to in Humans - kindness still retains its value. Have you yet tried simply showing Charlie the food, and then placing it in the trap while he watches, and walking away?

Welcome to TCS, by the way.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try a different bait food. Some people say Kentucky fried chicken works good. Wash the trap out real good and then rub sardine or tuna oil all over it. Maybe you could put the trap next to something and lean a board over it to disguise it. You might want to skip a meal before trapping to make sure he is so hungry he can't resist. I like to leave an empty can of food next to the trap as an appetizer. They sit there and lick the juice out of the empty can, sniffing whatever is in the trap until the temptation gets to them. You can use cat nip and smelly fish sauce from a Chinese restaurant on the trap too. I have used a big dog carrier to catch hard to catch cats too. Because it is bigger sometimes they feel more comfortable going in there to eat. I tie a string to the door and run up and latch it closed. Good luck.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds trap savvy!

You're saying he won't go in the trap to eat even when it's left overnight?

Where do you feed him?

Start feeding him his food just outside your front door. Sit nearby while he eats. See if he'll relax more and eventually let you pet him. Perhaps you can work towards scruffing him and bringing him in.

Another option would be to throw a net over him.

You'll want to have a room ready to put him in when you do bring him in until he gets more comfortable with his surroundings.

Kudos to you for caring!

Keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sunbury

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I leave the cage over night I know I will have a raccoon in there the next morning.
He refuses to go in the cage, he's hungry but he will walk around the cage two or 3 times.
He even wandered into my kitchen when I left the door open for my cats.
My husband came in the front door so he ran back outside, if I had came back in from the back yard I may have had a sI tuition on my hands.
I just might have to wait for cold weather when he's more desperate for warm shelter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Too bad you weren't able to close him in the house when he came in.

Are you at least feeding him outside the trap?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a large racoon trap and I will prop the trapdoor open using a re-purposed aluminum tube leg from an ironing rack (a stout stick will do) fed through the sides, and feed on a paperplate in the trap. You can partially cover the trap with a variety of items. I put bites of canned food near the trap and leave the empty can on top. I sometimes spritz with Feliway. It takes a few days and a trap-savvy cat may not approach at any rate, but it works more often than not. Leave the trap set-up undisturbed and just remove the paperplate at the end of the day. Wait until the cat is used to eating in the trap for a few days before removing the prop - they seem to sense when the trap is "hot".The most successful trappings are those with lots of prep; calm, slow, deliberate activity; plenty of patience - sounds like you are all set with those:agree:
Will be looking forward to updates!

Sunbury

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today he went in the trap and I caught him.
He's in a room now set up for him, I feel so bad. The scared look on his face just tears at my heart, I just want to pet him.
Let him know he's OK and nothing will hurt him now, unfortunately I know it's going to be a while before he let's me near him.
I can wait, I know he's worth it.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! That's awesome that you caught him, and thank you so much for taking care of him. He may not know it just yet, but he has hit the Kitty Lottery: warmth, food, medical care and LOVE. What an awesome person you must be.

Sunbury

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I post a photo of him, just before he fell asleep this afternoon after filling his belly.
I caught him a couple hours after that photo was taken
I'm hoping to gain his trust soon, I need to get him to the vet.
He's a short haired cat but he desperately needs a brushing as well.
My boys ( 3 male cats) haven't realized he's in the spare room yet.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:loveeyes: what a handsome cat! Try not to pity him so he doesn't hear it in your voice. Just continue to praise him for having the courage to go into the trap and how happy you are to have him in your home. Congratulations on getting him inside - your determination paid off! :beerchug: