Homeless cat in Chicago area needs foster home/no-kill shelter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm planning on releasing Indy tomorrow. I'm actually getting quite worried about him. He hasn't eaten all day. I was out of wet food so I just gave him dry food this morning and then another kind later after I saw that he had not touched it. A couple of hours ago I gave him a bowl of wet food and he hasn't touched it. I had to clean up in his cage so I think I really made him nervous so he won't touch the wet food even though I've left him alone with the carrier covered. Poor thing. I'm feeling so cruel. I'm going to try giving him another kind of wet food and then not come into the room again tonight. Then I'll release him tomorrow.
I really do feel horrible about letting him out to a life on the street but then again it's a life he knows and is comfortable with. He will be cared for and will be able to run around and chase bugs and climb trees as cats really should. At least that makes me feel a little better about it.
I don't have a shelter for them yet, it's warm enough that they don't need one, but I'm planning on getting a small dog house with a heated dog bed. I've had better luck with dog houses than small cat shelters. In my experience the cats are reluctant to get into the tote style ones where the opening is really small and you can't see in. Dog houses have a bigger opening so that the cat can check in out before going in. Once they are used to it I can put a door on it.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWW poor Indy, he does sound so stressed out being in that cage
. Good idea about the dog house, I know other's who have used them as well. They work very, very well as cat shelters. I am sure Indy will be just fine outside, that is what we have to do. We trap these strays/ferals and have them sterilized. Most times, we do have to release them back outdoors. Best of luck to Indy and I am sure he will be happier outside and then will begin eating again. I would try some Fancy Feast wet food. Even when you release him back out, the Fancy Feast will keep him near - YUMMY. We have a few months before things start getting real cold here so by then he should be well adapted to being outside in your yard.

p.s I did just get the call from that other "feral cat socializer" and she already has a litter of ferals at the moment. She said in about three weeks she will have an opening because the litter is well on their way to being sweet and will go up for adoption.