Homecoming weekend.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if any one else's town goes crazy over high school homecoming? We live in a fairly small town with 2 major high schools that have been rivals for generations (think they were both founded in the 1920's) so I know homecoming is a tradition but people go absolutely nuts over it! At work, people who are usually friends argue about who is going to win....every year. People I went to high school with and have just gotten back in touch with on face book are bummed because they can't come home for it. People decorate their houses in blue/white or red/white and the stores all start to sell merchandise in those colors.

Now, I can understand people decorating and everything if they have a child going to that school, but come on. Maybe it's just me. I went to homecoming when I was in high school but haven't been since, and don't plan to.

Good thing is today is a GORGEOUS day for football, sunny blue skies and just a little crisp. Better than sitting in snow like I did in highschool.

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that sounds like a lot of fun. I've always wanted to be in a school with a lot of school spirit.

At my school, no one really cared too much about homecoming. Of course there are always some who go around in school colors and face paint, but the majority do not, especially not people who are not students.

I went to my homecoming dance, only because it's fun to dress up and hang out with friends. But no one took it too seriously

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhhh... yeah, apparently in Long Beach they go nuts. Last Friday was the Homecoming game between the 2 rival high schools.. and after the game, 3 kids got shot and a 16 year old girl died!! http://www.lbreport.com/news/oct09/wilssht0.htm I just saw today that they arrested people finally, 2 teenagers who will be tried as adults. Good. Sick people.

On an unrelated note, we heard some shots (i knew it wasn't fireworks when i started to hear a million sirens) around the time the school thing happened, and that turned out to be a freakin carjacking near downtown that ended up in a SWAT situation somehow. Jeez!

I'm glad we decided to stay in with a movie that night..

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a couple of women in the office that go on about high school sports for hours. Both of them are my age and the kids are grown and gone.

They are so into it you would think that they are still sixteen years old.

We will be involved in a serious work related problem and one of them will ask "who won last night?" Then the work is put on hold while they chat about the game.

I just don't get it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most highschools and colleges in the US have a homecoming football game. It's usually the same weekend each year and usually against the same team. At the college I went to, it was also alumni weekend so there were special events and dinners schelduled for visiting alumni and parents. In high school, it is usually between two rival schools, there is usually a dance that weekend with the homecomeing queen and her court. It's a lot of fun while you're going to the school but for graduates it's more of a time to come back home. I think seeing everyone else that came back into town is more fun that actually watching the game itself, but then again I'm not a big football fan. Believe me, last night the town proper was just one big party! Thank god I live outside city limits.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My high school class was known for having the worst school spirit in the history of the school. During pep rallies they would always do a cheer and see which class would shout it the loudest, and my senior class would just sit there in utter silence.
Needless to say I never went to a Homecoming game or dance.