Home taming 2 feral kittens

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed, "adorable" is the word for sure!  And if they are allowing close up photos (unless you used a big zoom lens?) that's progress too.  What a terrific thing you are doing for these two otherwise lost kittens, and it's wonderful to see you enjoying a process which can be slow and frustrating.  One thing I remind myself in my journey with our latest aloof and hissy rescue Ellie is that it's our natural nurturing desire to stroke, pick up and cuddle cats and have them sit on our laps and purr.  It's not necessarily theirs.   Your beautiful Muse and Shadow sound as if their main agenda now they have found safe haven is to just enjoy exploring and playing together instead of being cold and scared and hungry all the time, and for now you are just those strange "big people" that miraculously make that possible.  They may not even realize you are the true source of that miracle, but they will in time.  You'll know you are truly getting there when you get the "what,  I'm not eating THAT nasty food - sure I liked it yesterday but today is a new day and I don't like it now!"  instead of the I've been hungry response "oh boy here comes the food, let's eat it quick before someone else does".

Great job both of you.
  (Kat, I think you are well named!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

Yes,Muse and Shadow do love being close to each other and follow or run down the short passage after each other all night.

We decided early in the game not to try and force petting etc,just reach out to them now and then and see if they will accept a stroke here and there.

Shadow does allow us to stroke him on the odd occasion but Muse will allow us close to her but runs off at any sign of touching---she is soon back to play though.

I did have Muse slightly trapped under a small closet  and was abble to get a few strokes of her back and tail until she was able to pull herself out--then she walked around 

with an indignant look until she was invited to play again-----she will play any time whereas Shadow is more sedate.

As you say,a learning curve and matching wits all the time

Regards to all

Tony and kat

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for keeping us posted! It is truly heartwarming to hear of a sucess story like yours, it gives us all hope! They are  two of the prettiest kittens I have seen, I love their patterns and their long fur. Good luck in the future!

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much

Regards Tony and Kat

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

Thanks so much

There is hope of getting close to any of these feral cats if you accept that they are individuals (sometimes with bad experiences)and you treat them as such.

We dont force ourselves upon them ,we will offer to play with them and even to stroke them--but if they dont want any of this,we just leave them be.

After all ,they do have more wild in them than truly domestic cats and they are coming to terms with that wildness and being domestic---we just try to help

them along a bit------------------one way or the other ,they are the cutest kittens(actually almost teenagers now--smile).

Best regards

Tony and Kat Wynne-Roberts

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

Short update with Muse and Shadow,our 2 feral kittens-------

They seem to be going from strength to strength since we  offered them the use of the whole cottage--

Chasing each other up our short passage,sleeping togeather out in the open--although they still have their secret hide places,sitting side by side watching life through the

screen doors and endless playing with their toys and---------------------allowing us to stroke them more and more often.

There are still the unexplained times when they run away or duck a pet but we just allow them to do that and soon they are back playing.

All in all a great improvement and its great to see them so happy

Regards to all

Tony and Kat

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't remember if I said this before.  We have a former feral, Chester, the cat in my avatar.  He will allow me to scratch his head for about 12 seconds - then - "that's enough, thank you very much."

He is the quietest, sweetest cat - gets along with everyone and will play mediator when there's a dust-up between the other cats.  I've heard him give a short, squeaky "mew" to Halsey, our Alpha cat, who will sometimes go on a bullying streak.  Chester will actually put himself between Halsey and the intended target.  He's a natural peacemaker but still, after eight years inside, does not like to be petted.

He's also the one who blinks at us when he's feeling particularly friendly.  When I hear my husband say "Are you giving me Chester blinkies?", I just melt.

You guys are doing a great job!

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

Thanks for your note---

Yes,we have a similar situation although the kittens have"only had us" for about 4 months.

Evening time is the possible petting time (heaven forbid we should try in the morning).

Muse(ex-female)will allow a fair amount of stroking--walks away while her back is being stroked,tail in the air,--and sometimes will actually turn around for a little more.

Shadow is a little more difficult and you have to wait until he is relaxed.

closing eyes at us has become common now--and we do the same to them.

These kittens love playing and they do so all the time---except for sleeping(mainly during the day)and eating.,running through the house after each other is now part of play.with lots of rough and tumble

and lots of meows.---the only thing not allowed is scratching the furniture--we have numerous scratching posts around the cottage and happily they use these most of the time.

We feed other creatures in our backyard and watching the goings on through our sliding door had become a daily ritual,

Gerbers baby food is mainly reserved now for medicating but they get numerous treats

We turn our computer chairs towards the sliding doors during the day while at work so that the kittens can sit and get a good view of things outside--or just lay in the sun

So to those who are wondering----feral kittens can make a happy home

Regards to all

Tony and Kat 

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a great update! (former) ferals do make wonderful additions - someone on this site once said that they teach us it's not all in our control. Boy do they! And when you think about what a difference you've made in their lives...wow.

These guys sound SO happy!!!!

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tony and Kat, you are amazing, such an inspiration with your love and patience.  Keep up the great work!

Your progress is very fast based on my experience!

Last edited:

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

Its quite true that you have to move at the kittens pace----try to push and they scare and you take 2 steps back---

We have pretty much allowed them to do what they want(I guess some people would say--we have spoilt the hell out of them),and in their own little ways--they have appreciated that.

A typical situation----we hear them playing in the morning---when we come in to the sitting room ,they are sitting quietly next to the door to their ex-bedroom(still where they have their litter boxes and food)

iF  we sit down quietly on the floor ,they will walk around to us and generally allow a stroke--one stroke and thats it-----and then they make it quite clear that we got our stroke now they want their food-----

we have made tentative attempts to pick them off the floor--but at this stage,they dont let it happen--so we just stop and pretend nothing happened

But,they are definitely letting us fit into their lives---

Regards to all

Tony and Kat

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I think its the kittens that are amazing----that they are able to sum up situations and act accordingly---we are just reacting to their behaviour and I

guess you could say--reacting to their needs---I feel that what we are seeing here is the interaction between wild creatures and humans on a small scale.

Regards 

Tony and Kat

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

What an amazing find this site was---almost every piece of advice we have found here has been priceless.

A short update on our feral kittens,Muse and shadow-

Out of the blue,we are taking giant steps for mankind--

The kittens are actually coming to us for petting---although not always for a long time--but purring is now an everyday occurrance.

The new game is watching us clean their litter boxes(2 of them) and then each kitten uses one of the boxes---you can almost hear them laughing---------------

Feeding time can be a little strange too--especially in the morning when they are often playing togeather---they will stop playing,come up to their food dishes as if to 

confirm that there is food there--and then go out of their room and carry on playing for awhile----

Of course--we love all these little happenings and allow them to do as they wish.

At the moment,picking up or laps are a no-no ,but we will see with time

We often stop what we are doing to talk to them and play--even for a short while--which they love.

All in all,healthy happy kittens(about 7/8 months old now--and a delight to have around.

Best regards

Tony and Kat Wynne-Roberts

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lovely update.  Thank you!  The part about them ignoring their food is great.  Shows they are comfortable that the food will be there when they are ready for it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I so enjoy reading your updates.  What a long way they have come.  You are to be commended for all your hard work.  Each small step forward is to be celebrated!!!  Keep the updates coming!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are going beautifully at your place! I so love the updates. Isn't it amazing to go back through your own posts and realize how far you/they've come? And how time seems less important now? :)

Your description of the "litterbox game" cracked me up-our last two fosters were BIG lovers of "whachya-doin-in-my- litterbox-and-can-i-come-do-it-too" game!!! The minute the scoop would come out-both Tom & Jerry would come at a run-and jump in & out & swat at each other's tails & the scoop. Cracked us up!

Continue to enjoy them-they look -and sound-like wonderful gifts!

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

They are indeed beautiful kittens and they seem to be relaxing more everyday---except on those occasions when they are  frightened by something-a noise or sudden movement----

Its so much fun to see them excited at mealtimes ----rolling over with one another---and laying at the door of their room with tails twitching in anticipation.

And after a quick snack--back to the chasing game-----

More and more stroking is allowed now with purring often-----sometimes now they will both arrive at the same time for their strokes--definitely more affectionate---but still---move slowely!!!

Tried to pick up Muse yesterday---she just vibrated in every muscle and took off like a shot from a cannon---soon forgave me though and returned to play---

They sure are characters---

When they got us,they were about 12 weeks old ,we expected a long adjustment period--its been 3 to 4 months now and they have really allowed us to be part of the family

Everyday they find new adventures---and they will sit at a window waiting for us to open the blinds so they can watch us feed the other creatures outside--its so cute

They do remind us every now and then---DONT PUSH YOUR LUCK!!!!

Other than those very few moments--adorable kittens

Regards

Tony and Kat