home and not happy...

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I go back in 2 days to check the incision....hopefully they will give me a less bulky dressing.... this one is HUGE... i made sure i brought a tshirt with huge armholes and still needed to stretch tme....

its huge LOL
Wow...that is a big dressing.
I'm sorry it was so painful - hopefully it's feeling better today and next time they'll actually listen to you.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All I can say is OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear the procedure was so painful for you but am glad to hear the original pain is gone. I felt immediate relief when I had mine done also, just had to get over the incision pain like you mentioned.

Did they put a splint under the bandaging? With mine, they put a splint on it before they wrapped it and stated in no uncertain terms that I could not use that tendon at all until the stitches came out in 10 days. When they cut thru the tendon sheath, they have to give that internal incision time to fully heal without any movement. Your splint would be in a different spot than mine so your bandaging would be more bulky along your wrist. My thumb stuck out like this:
so I couldn't get my arm thru anything less than a men's 3X tshirt until they took the stitches out.

So no lifting with that arm, and follow their instructions for icing (yeah, like the ice can permeate that bandage). Mom says!

You'll be using that hand in no time at all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

All I can say is OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear the procedure was so painful for you but am glad to hear the original pain is gone. I felt immediate relief when I had mine done also, just had to get over the incision pain like you mentioned.

Did they put a splint under the bandaging? With mine, they put a splint on it before they wrapped it and stated in no uncertain terms that I could not use that tendon at all until the stitches came out in 10 days. When they cut thru the tendon sheath, they have to give that internal incision time to fully heal without any movement. Your splint would be in a different spot than mine so your bandaging would be more bulky along your wrist. My thumb stuck out like this:
so I couldn't get my arm thru anything less than a men's 3X tshirt until they took the stitches out.

So no lifting with that arm, and follow their instructions for icing (yeah, like the ice can permeate that bandage). Mom says!

You'll be using that hand in no time at all!
Yep, I was soooo surprised, the pain up the forearm is gone.

I went for my appt today (2 days past surgery) and they cut off that big bulky thing (thank goodness)....It had a plaster cast + LOTS of gauze, padding, then the tensor on the outside.

I originally thought the same thing as you, about not using that tendon, but..... I'm out of the bandage and in a splint (I do have custom braces, but can't use em yet because of the swelling) and have ROM (range of motion) exercises to do, which use all of the tendons in my hand.

I have a bunch of different exercises to do...4-6 times a day (6 different exercises) with the splint off. Only limit is no weight whatsoever.

4-6wks then we start strengthening exercises. The PT said prolly 3mos heal time because of how bad mine was. Then we do the next one.

I go back next Friday to get the stiches out.

Surgeon commented today on the amount of freezing it took...apologised and explained that 99% of people wouldn't have felt what I did....so he assumed.

The pain isn't that bad...I'm sore today cuz of PT and its the first time I've moved my thumb/hand in 2 days...

thx for the support everyone..... if anyone wants to see, I'll post a pic of where the incision is.....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather rude or not, I would have told that surgeon "You know what happens when you assume..."
Hopefully the other one will go better and they can actually figure out something that will work better.
That you make all of your recovery steps on time as expected.

Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The PT said prolly 3mos heal time because of how bad mine was. Then we do the next one.
I think someone said your ordeal spooked them into reconsidering having something done for their carpel tunnel?

This is why a person doesn't wait too long. It makes it harder to fix, harder to heal, and just less likely to be successful. To those reading, don't put off treatment!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Rather rude or not, I would have told that surgeon "You know what happens when you assume..."
Hopefully the other one will go better and they can actually figure out something that will work better.
That you make all of your recovery steps on time as expected.

I think someone said your ordeal spooked them into reconsidering having something done for their carpel tunnel?

This is why a person doesn't wait too long. It makes it harder to fix, harder to heal, and just less likely to be successful. To those reading, don't put off treatment!
Yup, I posted in response to the CTR as well. My experience here is not typical at all.

As for this, if I had my choice, I would have had it done sooner but it was not up to me unfortunately....it was up to WSIB.

And yup, my surgeon will be more careful with the freezing of the next one. He knows I was not impressed in the least
I'm definately going to be quite verbal with the next one