Home alone, or off to Prison

marmite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Howdy,

I have two cats, a four year old and her kit at 3 years old.
They are both indoor cats, but the older one did spend the first year of her life outside.

The young one is scared of most things, when we have to take her to the vet she shakes like a jelly, whilst the older one is fine.

We are going off on holiday for 14 days next month; we have left them alone for about 10 before, with people coming in and feeding them. Problem is they get bored. They don't do any damage, but they don't like it.

So I am considering sending them off to a cattery, but I am not sure which is the lesser of two evils. I am sure the older one would be fine, but it would show her the outside world again. The young one would probably adjust within a week, but then she too has experienced the outside, only to be deigned it on her return.

Any advise please?

Thanks.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very much about their "territory". If I were you and could get someone to come over and feed them, etc., I would totally let them stay home.

Think of it this way... at home, they'll miss you but remain in familiar, comfortable surroundings. In a cattery, they'll miss you plus everything that's known and familiar to them.

Hope this helps you make up your mind! Wouldn't it be easier if they could just talk to us?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second a pet sitter ... though many of us do understand what cats tell us ... too many books on the subject

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could find a good pet sitter that will do more than just feed them. Ask if the person is a cat lover (more likely to spend time playing with your cats). You'll also have someone to take in your mail and check your place once or twice a day.

Chances are any pet sitter you use either only does that or has a part time job on the side - so you could probably be helping someone out that could use some extra income around the holidays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help, they will be staying at home.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was going to say can't you get someone to stay at your house so your kitties don't get bored. xx

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have a friend stay at my place so someone would be home as much as I am if I am away for more than a few days. Is that a possibility for you rather than someone just feeding them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't think I will be able to get someone to stay, we are away for Christmas.
In fact we are leaving the cold and grey skies of England for the sunshine of the Sunshine State, Florida (i am so excited
)

The best I will be able to do is get someone to stay for an hour or so when they feed them, and I am not even certain I can get someone in every day, but at least every other day.

But we do leave them on their own once in a while, normally for 2 or 3 days, so they are used to it a bit.