holy **** it's COLD today!!!

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went out to walk the dog this morning, dressed like the Michelin man! It's about -28 Celcius, and with the windchill, has gone down to -42!!!!!!!!!!

Poor dog walks along, and starts hopping with one foot in the air, because her toes get really cold. I have to stop and clean the snow and ice out from between her pads before she'll continue. I've thought of buying boots for her, but I don't think she'd like that! I just ordered her a coat though. She's got short fur, and get cold and shivery fast.

What's it like elsewhere?

pooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lets see, its 0 in New Hampshire!Brr...Its cold!My dog loooves the cold!My cat dosent tho.

Hopefully it warms up!!

nora

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very cold here also. My sister has two Cocker Spaniels (Bella & Bart) and she puts booties on them when it is cold like this or when a lot of salt has been used on the roads. Their paws are very sensitive to salt. They don't care for it at first, but they got used to it. They are the same kind of boots that the mushers use for their sled dogs. I'm glad I only have a cat and don't have to worry about such things. He is my hot water bottle (or little furnace) on these very cold days.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's about 50 degrees (F)...I don't know what that is in celcius (sp?)We have a 100% chance of rain today...and it is horrible outside right now.
I am about to have my second cup of coffee...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by caprice
It's about 50 degrees (F)...I don't know what that is in celcius (sp?)We have a 100% chance of rain today...and it is horrible outside right now.
I am about to have my second cup of coffee...
50F=10C and -42C=-44F. My customer very wisely decided not to have her dogs clipped today, so I'm going to spend the day cocooning in front of the TV and computer and buried under a pile of blankets!
It's a perfect day for a Third Watch marathon!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Freezing here too. Been like that for the past week.

I'm sick
so I don't have to leave the house for any reason.

My bf called me last night wanting to go for a walk! I was like, its -30 windchill and I'm sick!! He said I was lucky I was sick he was going to drag me out walking.... he's a strange boy

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
58 degrees and partly cloudy though its suppose to be near freezing again here tonight.

*Passes out hot tea to those who are freezing.*

shadowfein

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Supposed to be 28 degrees celsius and is sunny. No rain is forecast - we are in the middle of a drought!

And I had to sleep with the house closed up last night because Tarka can now get out of the windows and the next door neighbour's dog destroyed the fence and she can now get out of our property.

She is staying locked up today and we are going to get the fence fixed tonight or tomorrow!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Right now it is -23C in Toronto. With windchill that brings it down to a face freezing -34C!!!!!!

We are also under a Winter Cold Alert which reminds people to take extra precautions outside, to bring your pets inside and agencies are trying to bring the homeless indoors. Most of them want to stay outside instead.

Toronto is quite neglectful of the homeless and the government never seems to have enough money to build adequate buildings for low income individuals. But of course we have a zillion dollars to bring the Rolling Stones to Toronto last year which did almost nothing for our SARS affected economy anyways!

Our normal temperature is around -4C for daytime temperatures so we are way below the norm. Meanwhile last week we had a high of +14C!! Crazy!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm feeling better today so I went to work. I'm only here until 1pm so its ok.

Well I got to my car, nearly froze my a$$ on the way there. Then I got my scarf ready for the walk from the car into the building and I spilt my tea on it. I didn't really spill it, the tea mug tipped and poured on it. So it wasn't like a few drops, it was soaked with tea. So speed walking from the parking lot to the building was a chilly experience.

Well, I'm not going anywhere until 1pm and that is to leave. Thinking of heading to Zellers to buy a note book, but I don't think I'll want to leave the warmness of my car again.

I hope it starts to get a bit more seasonal soon. Just the 2 minute walk and my fingers (I was wearing gloves) and my face (I had my hat pulled low on my forehead) were stinging from the cold. Now that I'm in here I might want to stay the weekend

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Russian Blue

Right now it is -23C in Toronto. With windchill that brings it down to a face freezing -34C!!!!!!

Our normal temperature is around -4C for daytime temperatures so we are way below the norm. Meanwhile last week we had a high of +14C!! Crazy!
I'm in Sudbury. I feel you pain!!! As you can tell from my post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ahhh, partners in misery! It's -39 with the windchill here.
Russian Blue, I know what you mean about the homeless. I'm ashamed to say we're very neglectful here, too. It looks like I can spend the day cocooning today too, since work called and said not to bother coming in, the pipes are frozen! Which means I can't do my job. I'm going to brave the cold (since the car is plugged in and ready) and get cat food and blank tapes, then I'm coming right back home. I COULD technically go to the mall and do some shopping for my trip in May, but I really don't feel like it!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank God it has warmed up here finally! 49 degrees and rising.The ice and snow is melting and the roads are friendlier then they were.

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hate to brag
but it's suppose to be 77 degrees here in AZ today! The ferals are in heaven with this kind of weather

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
18F here in NJ, with a wind chill dropping it to 5F. They've issued an advisory for single digit temps over the weekend. When it gets that cold, I sit in my living room and listen to the furnace burn away my cash. It doesn't shut off for more than 15 minutes

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mean to make you Snow People feel badly, but it's about 75 degrees here in Los Angeles today.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about trying paw wax for the dog? I use it on my dogs to help protect their paws from hot cement...they don't care for the boots either. It might help to protect those tender paws from the ice & salt, and is supposed to help w/traction on ice.

69 and sunny in South Texas...you suffer through winter, we suffer through summer.

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Minnesota is no better, But we are due for a warm up this weekend...
We can only hope...lol