holy control freak batman!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, when I was planning my wedding a few years ago, it was very "in style" to give the guest a dress code (I was on a wedding forum). Not many couples did it but the ones that did obviously had more money than they knew what do to with and so did their guests, so they had closets full of clothes to go through and if nothing suited, it was an excuse to buy more. These are also the couples that spend $300/plate for the reception.

Do you have a white t-shirt? Black jeans? I would wear that because you are fitting into her color scheme so she shouldn't get mad about it. Nice pair of jeans, black heels, even a nice blouse rather than a t-shirt. Nothing says you have to wear a dress to a wedding.

I think it's unreasonable to say what colors the guests have the wear, but I do know it is done in some places. Honestly, it's her day, and while I think it's ridiculous to ask guests to do that, I would try to work with what you have. It is you BF's friend, and you don't want to cause problems down the road.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Actually, when I was planning my wedding a few years ago, it was very "in style" to give the guest a dress code (I was on a wedding forum). Not many couples did it but the ones that did obviously had more money than they knew what do to with and so did their guests, so they had closets full of clothes to go through and if nothing suited, it was an excuse to buy more. These are also the couples that spend $300/plate for the reception.

Do you have a white t-shirt? Black jeans? I would wear that because you are fitting into her color scheme so she shouldn't get mad about it. Nice pair of jeans, black heels, even a nice blouse rather than a t-shirt. Nothing says you have to wear a dress to a wedding.

I think it's unreasonable to say what colors the guests have the wear, but I do know it is done in some places. Honestly, it's her day, and while I think it's ridiculous to ask guests to do that, I would try to work with what you have. It is you BF's friend, and you don't want to cause problems down the road.
Extremely good advice! Go with the black & white t-shirt & jeans!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, if this "friend" keeps going the way she is on her dictating ways, I suggest you and your bf might consider dropping out of the wedding period. Seems more complaining going on then being excited.

But I do like the above poster's suggestion on the black jeans and white shirt. DH is being really "mean" this morning (I was reading him some of the comments). He said he would be tempted to put on a pair of black pants, white shirt and then put on a pair of boxers over the pants...........with a red pair of lips on the back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that is cute, tell him i say thanks! lol

well i do get what you're saying... i dont have black jeans, but i do have a pair of nice black pants that i wore to her "jack & jill" (which, by the way, had 100 people, was held in a hotel, and is similar to a small wedding)... and i also wore a black and white shirt with a black jacket over it but i am not wearing the same thing... but i dont want to make it look like i'm being a rebel... but i just dont get where she thinks she gets off... i know that i'm probably making this out to be a bigger deal than it should be (i tend to do that) but it just annoys me, how she is going about this, and not even really coming to me about it directly like an adult... its just annoying because i probably wont have another thing soon to wear this dress i have to, and i think i would really look/feel great in it, but she has to mess me up. i might just wear what i want and call it a day. she may be mad for a while but i'm not really worried about pleasing her. i would never make such a request for my wedding. i just really dont want to give in to her control-freak mentality.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, just wear what you feel you are most comfortable with and if she pulls her "can't come in cause you are not dressed right" she can do that in front of a lot of people, which won't set too well and will make HER look bad - not you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yeah, just wear what you feel you are most comfortable with
Exactly!

Going out and buying some special for a wedding because of a colour scheme, especially when you can't afford it, is wrong! And her expecting you to do so even after your boy friend told her that you are out of work and don't have the money, or telling him that he should buy you a dress, is just plain sick and selfish on her part.

Personally if it were me, I wouldn't bother going. Your boy friend is part of the wedding party and it's not like you are going to be spending the evening with him anyway. He will be paired up with a bridesmaid, sitting at the head table, and doing wedding party duties. You'll be lucky if you get a dance or two with him the entire evening.

I wouldn't go and I wouldn't buy her anything either.