Holly delivered one kitten HELP! is this normal Im worried

hollycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Holly started bleeding lastnight and I found her at 12midnight and sat with her and she started pushing about 3am, she delivered one kitten at 5am and thats it, the problem is that she had one bag come out about 4am that she burst and there was heaps of fluid but no baby, then this little one was born after, she popped the bag when its little face was only just peeping out so I had to rub its face to make it breathe, so glad we were there or it might not have made it, its black with white sock feet and a white beard and one white dot on its tail. We named it Paul Jnr after my best friends hubby(trying to help him love it, so they can take it home). What does a normal sac look like as this one was pure white with clear fluid, no blood around it and Im worried that there is something wrong,like premature or more babies to come, any advise please! I am 99.99% sure that all the kicking I have felt over the last three weeks came from more than one baby..how much are they meant to weight to be healthy? Holly loves her bubba and is doing well but where is the rest of the litter?????It was born at 5am so its 6 hours old!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, get her looked at. 6 hours is a long time between kittens.
I have a weak stomach so didn't really watch Missy giving birth but I think the placentas were dark pink not clear.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The placenta is pink/red, but the bag itself is pretty clear. I will go find some links to post for you to learn more.

For now, just relax. I'll be right back, and so will someone more knowledgeable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bag and fluid totally clear but yes the placenta was very dark red/pink and she ate it, there was a second lump that was like yellow with fluid after baby and after the placenta there was this second lump? anyone know what this is?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is one link I found. I disagree that you should take a newborn litter and Mom in for a routine check...otherwise the info seems good. It says over 4 hours is too much...but I'm not sure about that.

This link says there may be a pause of 24 to 36 hours in the cats labor. I don't know what the second lump after the placenta is.
http://www.cats4u.co.za/birthaid.htm

hollycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Holly is really unsettled and crying at the moment , trying to move baby,picking it up in her mouth and then fretting and crying.she seems really scared

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she having contractions or anything? I forgot to mention, having only 1 kitten is not unheard of.

You might try confining her (and her birthing box) to the bathroom or other safe place where she can't move the baby around too much.

I would at least call a vet

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO sorry for leaving out the link....that's what I get for hanging around TCS hours after I should be in bed! Here it is again...I went back and added it to my prior entry.
http://www.cats4u.co.za/birthaid.htm
It has been about 18 hours now, since the kitten was born. If Holly is acting normal, everything is probably ok. But if she is agitated and crying, something may be wrong. At least call the vet for an opinion, and so they know you are concerned. Be sure to get a contact number to call in case you need it over the weekend or at night.

I hope things go ok for your kitty and her babies!

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could call a vet (or an emergency one, or perhaps the spca has someone on staff) and explain what is happening before rushing them out. They might be able to advise you.

In the meantime, I am also going to try and see if I can find any sites that describe anything like this, and will post if I can find it.

hollycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok Holly still only had the one little baby boy now named PJ (paul Jnr for short as this is going to be my best friends cat and her hubby is Paul LOL) holly is ok and has settled into being a great mum,has not left her baby at all...has not eaten and has only done one wee,is this normal? she did end up moving the baby to another cat house we have,great place though as its warm and inclosed, it is a beautiful kitten, I can feel a lump in her tummy still though so im going to call the vet in the morning possibly get an ultrasound just in case because when she was in labor she had a sac that she bite and then no baby so Im worried the kitten went back inside, do you think this could happen?? second sac was little PJ but she also bite this sac when it was only 2cm out and i had to keep the baby alive by rubbing his face while it was still hanging out the hole, scary! I had never heard of the mother breaking the bag before it was born, but holly did.Thankgod the baby was head first so i could make it breathe....I hope she is ok but everyone is telling me it is not normal for her to have only one. confused and thanks for the link

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try to put her food and water right beside her, to make sure she eats, etc...
And I cant help but to mention my experience because we both ended up with 1 kitten

I thought there was another one too, and I waited almost 2 days, but when I took her she was totally constipated...Seriously consitpated, and she wasnt really eating..
So I would keep an eye on that since you said she was barely eating and not going potty...

Just a thought, Congrats on baby

megmar6853

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to warn you that there could be a decomposing kitten inside Holly. Holly could die if a C-section is not performed.
I would take her to the vet ASAP

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are concerned or if Holly begins to act off, then yes, most certainly get her in to see her vet. However, I am not a big fan of taking a queen right into the vet so shortly after delivery. I would call your vet, ask them what they think and what advice or suggestion they have before taking her in to be seen.

Also, when you call and if they DO want you to bring her in, ask if you should also bring in the kitten. Some vets want to keep Momma and babies together, others don't.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are concerned or if Holly begins to act off, then yes, most certainly get her in to see her vet. However, I am not a big fan of taking a queen right into the vet so shortly after delivery. I would call your vet, ask them what they think and what advice or suggestion they have before taking her in to be seen.
I agree, wholeheartedly. Definitely if there is a problem...but the trip to the vet is stressful for cats, especially one who has a new litter.

I just wouldn't want to put that kind of stress on the new monther unless it is absolutely necessary.

hollycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been potty this morning, HUGE firm poo but she has gone poos now thankgod. eaten only about 20g food but loving her baby and feeding him perfectly..going to worm her today is this OK to do now??