Holistic Vet Rabies Vax Angst

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is SO odd! :scratch: The holistic vet in the area recommends people use the PureVax only every three years (before the research was out - it's NOT a required vaccine by law in our county (!) ), and the best traditional vet in the area doesn't even carry the adjuvanted vaccine, only the PureVax, even though they still stick with the "vaccinate every year" routine (but have no problem if people don't want to vaccinate after that initial and one-year booster).

nalacatsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here and have not vaccinated my 4 year old cat, Nala, at all.  I finally got her spayed last month.  She's strictly indoor cat and doesn't have much interest in going out.  If I go in the yard and the door is open she comes on the step but that's it. 

I will be doing more research but I hold a holistic and delayed vax schedule for my human baby(who is now 10). 

nalacatsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel IF she got out and had traces of a fight or bites I'd get her vax'd for rabies immediately like a human would if exposed.  Rabies in domesticated animals is quite rare.  Most are raccoons and bats.  We have bats here and I know they do carry rabies especially any that you'd get to(hurt on the ground ones).  

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel IF she got out and had traces of a fight or bites I'd get her vax'd for rabies immediately like a human would if exposed.  Rabies in domesticated animals is quite rare.  Most are raccoons and bats.  We have bats here and I know they do carry rabies especially any that you'd get to(hurt on the ground ones).  
It is not that simple. A bite or injury of unknown origin is treated as exposure to a rabid animal, according to animal control in most states. Proper protocol for an unvaccinated pet is quarantine for 6 months (at your expense) and vaccination 1 month before discharge. If any symptoms of rabies occur, such as excessive drooling, pica, or personality changes, the pet is euthanized, even if the diagnosis of rabies is not certain.

The reason rabies is currently not common in domestic animals/pets is because of the rabies vaccine.