Holiday Woes!

t1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,
I have an awful dilema :( I rescued a cat a few months ago and it turns out she's having kittens! She's such a lovely cat and was so nervous when we first got her but now she has settled well with the immediate family. From a bit off investigation I've worked out an approximate due date and I reckon she has 2-3wks to go. She's got a lovely round tummy and I can feel her teats easily. I've also noticed a bit of mucus on her vagina. My big problem is that we didn't know she was having kittens and booked a holiday, if my dates are right the kittens should be about a week old, if I'm wrong she could have them when I'm not there. I'm worried sick and the last thing I want to do is leave her at all but my family won't hear of trying to rearrange the holiday. It's our first getaway in 5 yrs! I just know I'm going to spend the week worrying about my baby and her babies! My friend has promised to care for her but my cat is nervous at the best of times! And nobody seems to understand! All I get is, it's a cat she'll be fine! [emoji]128542[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When did you first see or feel the kittens move?  She will give birth 2 - 3 weeks later.  I ask because it sounds like she might be losing her mucus plug.

Have you read these articles?

[article="31379"]Pregnant Cat What To Prepare For The Birth​[/article]  

[article="29720"]Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats​[/article]  

[article="31414"]Help My Cat Is Having Kittens​[/article]  

[article="31496"]How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth​[/article]  

Nursing cats like pregnant cats need a lot of food.  Will your friend be able to feed your cat wet kitten food 4 - 6 times a day?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will your friend be popping in to feed your cat several times a day and clean the litter box?

Mom will need quite a bit of wet food each day, along with dry food 24/7, and water, to support nursing.

This plan works well if all the kittens are healthy and do not need supplementing by hand or vet treatments.

Best to have kitten formula and a syringe on hand, and the vet's number and credit card info for your friend.

The timing is not ideal, but it can hopefully work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, my cat has had 3 kittens this morning, she was doing ok but has started crying and following us when we leave the room. I've been trying to keep things as normal as possible. The kittens are where she usually sleeps upstairs and when she follows us downstairs we have to go back up with her to get her to return to the kittens. Is this normal, is she just nervous/not wanting to miss out on anything we do? I'm worried as we go on holiday in a few days and I'm hoping she will be ok with the pet-sitter [emoji]128542[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is the hormones.  It will take 24 -48 hours for her to settle down into motherhood.  It would help if you could sit with her and give her praise and love while she nurses her kittens.

How long will you be gone?  Will the pet sitter be there all the time or just once or twice a day?  She will need wet food 4 -5 times a day.  You don't want wet food left our for long periods of time and risk her food poisoning.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can close the door to the room if you need to so that she will stay with her kittens.