hmmm how to get the cat in the cage

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I close the bathroom door and put the cage in my bathroom.I have to chase her around my living room for 20 minutes.Maybe play with her first so she is exhausted?

Laura

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long as she had the cage? Things like chasing that get her all wound up and stressed (if they do - I know my cat likes being chased when she's feeling playful) may be counteractive. If she isn't very familiar with the cage, put some of her favourite things in there like favourite toys or pillows or blankets or boxes she likes to lie in: that bed, for example. Get her smell in there. Get your smell in there. You can put a trail of treats, food, or catnip leading into the cage.

Ideally this would be a place she'll go to feel safe and comfortable, and not one she'll have to be coerced into every time. We leave our carriers open in our bedroom and living room and the cats often sleep in them. On occasion, we'll close and zip it up for a minute or two, open it up again, give them a pet, and then leave it open. Then they'll know what it's like closed even when they're in the safety of home and won't panic when the time comes for a trip or anything. Even just leaving them out may eventually allow curiosity to get the best of her and she'll go explore it on her own.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent ideas!Treats/food don't work.I do leave the carrier open.I will have to try putting a bed,toys,etc in it.My cat Peaches likes to go in it but mostly to get away from Maggie.

Laura

janea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I pet the cat, then get ahold of both legs in each hand, and slide the cat into the box effortlessly. She doesn't get to stick her claws anywhere to resists and no one is hurt or aggravated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I will have to try that. I need to take my stray cat to the vet.I was going to lure her into my apartment with her kittens to my bathroom and shut the door.My indoor cats will be in my bedroom.The stray immediately goes behind the bushes if she sees a carrier or any box coming towards her.Traps do not work even with food or treats.

Laura

janea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, don't let her see the carrier, just have it close to move her quickly. Hold her close to your body while carrying her to avoid any pulled muscles or scratches. :)

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine is the kind where the top half comes off as well as a door. The door route doesn't work for me so I just take the top half off...put them in it followed by the lid.

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, try making it a less stressful experience, so in the future she won't put up much of fight next time she has to go in her cage. :) Just talk to her softly. If she struggles to get away while you're holding her, don't tighten your grip, just put her down, and pick her up again, this time, stroking her softly, and telling her it will be okay. Stress will only make things worse

Also, going to have to go with PinkDagger said. :)

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a small wire dog crate works better than a conventional cat carrier because its a lot more open and they feel less confined.