Hiya! 3 giant loving cats and one teenie feral

thbtbt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to have found this forum. I didn't realize it until recently but I am really lost when it comes to taming a stray.

I have three loving house cats who are very large (not fat, but big-boned). Tabitha is my femal Maine Coon, and Diablo and Squidoo are both male short hair black cats. They each average between 14-16 pounds each. To me, this is very normal as I have somehow always had large cats. It could be because they have always been male (Tabitha being the exception).

Years ago, I adopted a feral cat which had been tamed by a foster care giver through the rescue organization. Kageneko was a huge, fluffy black cat that closely resembled a black Norwegian. He was so different from any other cat I had ever adopted. He was terribly shy at first but eventually became the most loyal companion (alas, he had a heart defect that took him suddenly, but he was very loved). 

So when I began keeping tabs on a tiny white-mixed kitty frequenting the parking lot at work, I thought I would take her into my home and socialize her. I thought I was a patient person, having let Kageneko keep his distance for weeks until he felt brave enough to approach me first. I talked to rescue organizations and my vet about how to trap her, care for her, etc, etc. But reading and talking about it and actually doing it are two different things. I'm not even 2 weeks in and I find myself constantly second-guessing my decisions. I worry that I might not be socializing her in the best way possible, and many of the articles online are conflicting - plus they don't always give much comfort.

SO - here I am and very, very glad to be here. I've already gotten so much help and I feel so much better about caring for my little stray kitty called Moonshine (pictured in my icon). I still worry for her, but I know where I can come for first hand guidance and support!

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the cat site!!

I am so glad you are there for the stray! Sounds like you will do a wonderful job!

I'd love to see pics of all your fur babies!

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!

Your right there is lots of support and advice for you here. I'm sure with time she will start to come around.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!  Moonshine is fortunate to have met you.  I think it's wonderful what you are doing for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thbtbt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitties are gorgeous as well. So many cali's!

jeileen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You will be just great with your feral..Sounds like you really care..and that is what matters.