Hit by a virus!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Either my e-mail, or the e-mail of someone who has me in their address book, has been hit with a virus sending out some sex links, etc. Most tell me the links don't work, but DON'T CLICK ON ANY LINK in an e-mail from me.

None of my scanners has found anything on my computer yet, but you know how these things are!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It is probably someone else who has your email in their address book. My in-laws got hit and I was receiving all sorts of email from an old address of my BIL. The virus on the in-laws machine was taking their address book and spoofing emails right and left. I was fortunate that they never cleaned their address book and this old email was being used a lot.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Cureit by Dr. Web. It's free and will find most anything. The only thing about the free version compared to the full version is that if you want to run a scan again in the future, you have to redownload the program to get the updates. The free version doesn't automatically update.

Also run "Malwarebytes". It is also free.

Delete whatever these programs find.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Malwarebytes found nothing.

Spybot found nothing.

Adaware is running right now.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got one of those today from my cousin. It was a forward with no subject the message said something like "This really works" and had a link. I didn't try it so I don't know if it was the same one.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adaware found nothing. I have a full, deep McAfee scan running now.

My computer DID send out about 25 spam e-mails in 3 minutes yesterday afternoon. All but 2 bounced. But I've heard from about 10 other people that also got it, with my address, but it wasn't sent by my computer.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few people who used to have accounts with Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. and don't use them anymore, but never bothered to delete them. As a result, I keep getting emails from these people as they must have had my address in their files (and I haven't kept in touch with them for years) with all kinds of crap in them. I finally have them set to automatically delete when they come in. But it's frustrating.

I hope you can get everything straightened out.

cat condos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Either my e-mail, or the e-mail of someone who has me in their address book, has been hit with a virus sending out some sex links, etc. Most tell me the links don't work, but DON'T CLICK ON ANY LINK in an e-mail from me.

None of my scanners has found anything on my computer yet, but you know how these things are!
Ah that sucks
. I hate when that happends.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The funny thing is, a few contacts e-mailed me and complained the sex site links didn't work!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

"Hey Blanche, none of these sex links work! UGH!!!"
LOL!

There's a special place in Hell for people who write computer viruses. I hope to rule over it one day.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been getting all kinds of those emails lately.
Luckily, I know enough to know that they're not legitimate, and just delete them. But it sure is frustrating!
I think my "leak" came thru my WebTV - which has about as much protection against those kind of things as a leaky raincoat.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

LOL!

There's a special place in Hell for people who write computer viruses. I hope to rule over it one day.
The inside word is that you'll need to speak Russian, Chinese...and uber geek to communicate with your denizens!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The inside word is that you'll need to speak Russian, Chinese...and uber geek to communicate with your denizens!
Note to self, learn Russian and Chinese. Uber Geek is in the bag!