Hissy kitty!

kirstotaylo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! Ok so, its like 03.52 uk time as i write this. My kitty bailey has a habit ot waking up to play at this time. He usually goes back to sleep after a few attempts of me ignoring his feet nipping and face patting etc. HOWEVER, hes acting so strange. I thought there was maybe something like a spider in my bed he could see as he was hissing continuously and trying to stalk this "imaginary" thing. This freaked me out enough, but then i realised he was hissing and attacking nothing when i put the light on as he continued to do it around the room. So anywhose im really spooked and have come to three possible conclusions:
1) im being haunted
2) theres something wrong with my bailey :(
Or 3) this is new method to wake me for food and play!

He is 9 almost 10 weeks old, he eats and drinks well and he is passing stool and urinating normally.

I might sound stupid but i googled it and looked around the forums and the only reason i can see for kitten hissing is aimed at someone or something.

Please reassure this spooked out new pet owner!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I''m sure he thinks his hiss was aimed at something- likely a suspicious lump under the blanket!

Unless his odd behavior has persisted in some way into the daytime hours, I am sure he is fine.

I do have to 'warn' you that I understand why you were concerned but reacting to him at all at that time of night, no matter what he does, is the worst thing you can do if you are trying to train him.  If he were truly in distress, it's fairly certain that he's be communicating that in a way other than a hiss 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
going to agree with @tulosai  here, and say he was hissing at the wind! lol

My cat is really weird. She hisses at her own toys and swats at them. she hates them so much. then literally 30 seconds later, she's playing with them and walking around the house with it in her mouth. goes to show, cats are weird, sometimes, they get worked up over nothing.

if the hissing persists, definitely i would suggest taking kitty to the vet. My girl jet started hissing randomly for a few days, all the time. took her to the vet and it turned out to be worms. 

also, your kitten might have heard something, or someone that night. maybe another cat outside, something you didn't pick up easily, but he did.

just keep an eye on kitty, but i think that might have been a random incident 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirstotaylo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, i think i was just really freaked out because iv never actually heard a cat hiss before! The noise is quite scary the first time and especially when woken up to it at 4am! Thanks, you are both right he hasnt done it all day today so doesnt appear to be an ongoing thing.

Im trying my best to ignore him when hes after play time at night but the standing on my head can be difficult. He has to stay in my room because my brothers autistic and i think the noises bailey would make trying to get in would be distressing to my brother so im going to see what tonight brings and try and let him see im not getting up no matter how much he pesters!! Haha! such a bundle of michief! I love it though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirstotaylo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Edit* bailey does come out of my room in the day just at night i try to ensure my brother wont be around him unsupervised as he's very nervous around him if I'm not there