Hissing Kittin

Junior17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a new kitten she is just 7 weeks old. When I I try to pick her up she hisses at me, when I do pick her up she is fine. She is also running away from me when I try to approach her. How can I stop this? Plz help.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very tiny and very young to be away from her mom. You are HUGE to her and she is frightened so she hisses. Just sit quietly by her until she is comfortable enough to start to explore and climb on you. Dangling a string or a toy might warm her up quickly. If not just wait for her to come to you and don’t just pick her up. You can also try stroking her or holding her when she is sleeping. At her age they are practically comatose when they sleep and she will appreciate your warmth and closeness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Junior17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is very tiny and very young to be away from her mom. You are HUGE to her and she is frightened so she hisses. Just sit quietly by her until she is comfortable enough to start to explore and climb on you. Dangling a string or a toy might warm her up quickly. If not just wait for her to come to you and don’t just pick her up. You can also try stroking her or holding her when she is sleeping. At her age they are practically comatose when they sleep and she will appreciate your warmth and closeness.
She runs away from me when I try to get close to her

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on adopting your new kitten. :catlove:

If you've just brought her home, she is probably overwhelmed with everything new to her, including you. I'm sure in time, she'll be following you around and snuggling in your lap.

Here are a few TCS articles that may have some tips for you:
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats