Hissing, biting, attacking... my fault. Fix?

rosewelsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sunshine has had his bought of traumas and has since become a very scaredy cat.

When he was a year old, he'd love to ride in his high seat in the car especially at night to watch the lights and even better the Christmas lights; ride in his pouch on my chest and take walks under the trees at the park on a harness and visit "Grandma" at her house at least 3 days a week. He'd go with me to outdoor fairs, on multi-day trips. Then the first trauma came:

I took him over the Grandma's house several times after she got full grown rescue cocker spaniels. The last straw was after I'd gotten him a cat-show two/three story cage to use to get used to the dogs. He got so scared of the dogs, more scared even that he already was, that he pooped next to himself and stayed there. (I've sense learned that the dogs should have been the ones caged so he could get used to their scents while still feeling safe.)

Now he hates to even think about going outside for a ride in the car. He gets violent and has even gotten in the habit of being terribly frightened as soon as I get out of the shower in the morning and get dressed. This happened so much at one point that when he had to go to the vet I'd put him in his carrier as soon as I got out of bed, still do. That brings me to his second trauma:

I found a lotion that really worked well on my skin: Eucerin. I traded my old lotion for it for a year or more. I did not put two and two together until I was talking to my sister about the same type of behavior in her cat; only it happened after she used a certain sponge. She'd go to pet her and he'd put his ears back, hiss and swat and run. It was then that it hit me, there is urea in the lotion I like. I immediately stopped using it, went back to my old lotion and after a while he stopped being afraid of me every morning. I'd get ready for work and let him sniff my hand with the old lotion and eventually he understood that I wasn't going to smell odd. That brings me to the next trauma:

A few years ago we moved to a ground level apartment (and now a ground level home). He was raised in a second story apartment. In the first story apartment at night several times something came close to the bedroom window he was sleeping in and caused him to attack the window violently and totally mad-kitty style. I had to tack a sheet to the window after that. He did like to still go outside on a harness onto the half-underground small porch for the most part.

He loves to go outside on his harness now that we have an open yardspace. I hook him to the sliding door handle on a long leash and for the most part he loves it. However, he does get upset when people or other animals walk by and he runs back in the house. Twice now, while hiding, he's gotten himself wound up on the table, cat tree and chair that sit by the door. I've not noticed that he's been trapped and when I go to check on him he attacks me. He attacked me so harshly a week ago that I had to put on my rose gloves to get him loose from the leash so he could hide. I've since tried to make it very difficult for him to get tangled. He's not gone back outside since, nor has he asked to go out. That brings me to his latest trauma: me.

Good grief I can be a dense kittymommy sometimes. I'm really glad that I came back to this site and read through some cat behavioral posts so I could be reminded about what was going on with Sunshine. Sadly it was too late for the incident this morning. I now realize that I was stupid to go and ask for some attention after he'd been by the window and saw something outside that wound him up. He was in attack mode and well, couldn't attack what was outside so he hissed at me. But dunce-head me hissed and growled back at him. I used to do this when he was a kitten to stop him from biting me when we played or doing other things I disapproved of. Worked wonders at that time, but no longer works. It only makes things worse. So, I've traumatized my kitty once again.

I don't want to cut him off from looking out the windows. He LOVES this. So I'll just have to mind my behavior when I see the "crazy kitty eyes" look.

Is there a way for me to apologize when I've been a jackass to my cat? He just wants to be left alone, I know this. But when he is done being upset he snuggles with me a lot more and makes me feel better about our fight. This comes sometimes 12 or more hours afterwords. I just wish there was a way to say, "I'm sorry. I was a jackass. I'll try to do better next time." And have him know I was sorry.

He's the sunshine of my life and my best friend and I hate to have made him permanently frightened of me or to equate me with trauma. I'm afraid he does.

Sincerely, Rose

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Rose,
Sunshine is lucky to have you in his corner, that is for sure. But, I just would like to caution you about a few things. Harnesses and kitties can work, but only if you are on the other end of the line. They can become frightened and tangled up and if your attention is diverted inside- harm can come to him. People are unusually attracted to cats on a line outside a home and will always approach them without meaning to scare them, but it does. If you are holding the other end, or if you are outside with him reading in a chair nearby, then by all means have him on the harness. Other than that, keep him inside and that includes traveling with you. Travel now is a trigger- another trigger is you taking a shower. Before you go into the shower, take an interactive toy like www.nekoflies.com and play with him for about 15 minutes. End the play time with a yummy treat you can purchase from www.catniptoys.com (the Cod is a real hit with my indoor colony) Make sure you share this wonderful time with him daily at the same time every day, then go in and take a shower. After you are dry, take a little of the spray Feliway and spray lightly your feet and hands. Then step out in the hall and let him smell you. This will ease his trigger points.

About the window, chances are you have an outside tom or queen spraying your window and around it- this can drive cats to distraction. If they are true feral cats you can drive them away with fresh hair trimmings (visit your local beauty salon and ask for hair trimmings off the floor) sprinkle these loose hairs around the outside of the window to keep ferals away. But, if these are owned kitties the hair won't work. But spraying feliway daily on and around the window will.

If this were my kitty, I would go to www.felinefurniture.com and get one of his basic starter sets. Put it by the window, install a bird feeder directly outside and go for distractions. You can also get those feeders that attach to the windows those are fun for kitties too.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosewelsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's 7, rescued when he was 4 weeks old. Mom was gone and the rescue worker had couldn't keep his siblings from dying.

He doesn't like Feliway, sadly. It does not calm him at all.

rosewelsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very good ideas.

I never go far when he's on his harness. Generally I'm just inside the door and across the room. Once in a while I go and use the restroom quickly. He doesn't like me to be out of site and will come in looking for me if I'm gone more than 30 seconds. He got wound up in stuff on the inside of the house. GAH! Hopefully I've solved that problem.

I do like the bird feeder idea. That would be awesome for him to watch. I even have places to hang them near the window. I'll check out the links you passed on however to see if there's a better idea.

As for an outdoor cat wandering, I'm sure that is the trouble. He broken the clasp on two leashes trying to chase it down. YIKES. Luckily I've been training him so long on a leash he doesn't go far past the boundaries already drawn by how far his leash lets him go. He's even come inside to get me when he's wiggled out of his new clasp to let me know something was wrong. It was rather cute. I've sense figured out how to close it better.

Now if only there was a way to apologize to him for being ignorant and upsetting him. That would make my year.

Sincerly, Rose

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They don't come with instruction manuals, we sort of learn as we go. Unfortunately some of that learning comes with making mistakes, some minor, some major. As for Feliway no it does not work immediately. It takes a few hours for the kitty to be effected by it's calming effect, but it is a start. Don't worry about apologizing to him, just love him and care for him the best you are able to and don't repeat past mistakes which you know tend to upset him.

rosewelsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Hissy
. I may go get the spray and put in on his kitty tree next to the window and hope it helps. Do you know how often I should apply it to keep him happier?