Hissing at me :(

animac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. My cat Luna is 2 years old and has always been an indoor cat. This summer I built her a cat enclosure attached to the back of the house and she loves being out there. She has access through the window whenever she likes (unless it's really cold and then she has to ask to go out) and has encountered a few cats, mostly just involving Mexican stand-off type staring contests. There's this one cat who she seems to hate, it sits on the wall staring at her and she goes crazy, tail flailing, climbing up the mesh and meowing like crazy. I try and get her in if it's hanging around, but she's reluctant to move. Fortunately, that cat only comes a-mocking every now and then.

Just lately however (in fact 5 minutes ago), I open the window so she can go out and she walks onto the ledge and turns around and hisses at me, sometimes I even get a swat, scary stuff! I thought maybe redirected aggression but she does this nearly every time I let her out now, before she has had the chance to spot any cats that might be out there.

I have to say that when she comes in, it's like it never happened and she's purry and butting me with her head for a fuss. Why does my sweet gal do this? It's pretty unnerving!

starlyte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 5 outdoor or indoor cats, as they want, but there is a cat from some where else who, apart from being enormous, attacks some of mine, and badly bit the throat of one female, spayed, but another spayed was so badly attacked she died, after having run  off. I couldn't find her, and when I did, it was too late, except for burying her. But there's another cat who is from I don't know where, who comes and sits with mine, ignores me, isn't vicious with my cats or dogs. He's completely different. Cats have each their own character.

But the first of the cat family I have now was a poor abandoned mother, who'd hidden her kittens in the nature and came into the house to eat my 2 little dogs' food. I bought cat food, and eventually she brought her 3 kittens here too (lol , my friend said no more animals!). I got her spayed and each time I left the room where the cats eat she started giving me a little tap with her paw, harder and harder, till one day she literally attacked my leg as I was going out through th door. I still have the scars, and my leg was blue from her bites. I picked her up by the scruff of the neck and told her what I thought of it, nose to nose. She never did it again. I didn't hit her or hurt her, just held her and looked her right in the eyes. She's been gentle as usual since then, although the people who'd abandonned her had also been attacked when they approached her kittens.

I've also realised that since she was spayed she's become deaf. I don't know for what reason, or if it was the vaccine. I've not talked to the vet, as it's a long way, and the car is a traumatising experience.

But   if I were you, I would tell her that I don't appreciate her attacks. Maybe she wants you with her for protection. It's so difficult to translate cat language sometimes, and we can only guess. But have you tried passing time with her when she's outside? It might help...but telling her you don't like being pawed surely will.

Also toys for her to play with may help, when she's outside.

Good luck :D

Last edited: