Hissing at house guests

almelo95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old cat Midnight is a sweet and lovable, when it is just my wife and I around. However, she becomes very mean when we have guests over. It seems to get continually worse. She hisses at everyone, my wife and I included, when guests are in the house. I understand that she is afraid and I wouldn't mind if she just hid someplace in the house, but her over-curious nature won't allow her to. Is there something I can do to make her more comfortable when we have people at the house?

She does not bite or scratch anyone. That's not in her nature. Sometimes she will get close to guests right when they get into the house, but it always seems to end with a hiss.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is not biting or scratching, I wouldn't worry about it. She is probably just establishing her territory. If you can bring yourself to ignore her when she does it, she will probably stop it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about just putting her in another room when guests are over? This way she won't stress herself out by hissing.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by almelo95

Is there something I can do to make her more comfortable when we have people at the house?
Put her in another room with toys, treats, water and box. She'll be less stressed isolated for a while than being around strangers that she feels are encrouching in her territory.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the same problem with Big Guy Dino, in fact he hisses at all sorts of things (like handbags and sweeping brushes) normally its if these objects are not in normal places, so of course a major tidy up is in order most days ! If people are coming over, we settling him down on our bed, about 1-2 hrs before and he´s a happy bunnie and no strange looks from guests ! We have done it for years, so now its just part of the routine. Good luck ! !

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her hissing doesn't sound like aggression. Instead it sounds to me as if she is saying "I'm uncomfortable and I want to make sure no one gets too close because it would scare me."

My timid cat hisses quite often, but his is the "I'm unfomfortable" hiss rather than an "I'm gonna get you" hiss.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you choose not to put her in another room, instruct your guests to ignore her. Cats percieve eye contact differently than humans. Your kitty probably feels threatened.