Hissing At A Toy?!?

parziaval

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat in question is female and almost 1 year old. She is spayed and is very loving. I also have another cat and she is also spayed and is also 1 year old. I was playing with the first cat about an hour ago with a wand toy because during the night the two cats I have get really hyper and chase each other so I play with them before I go to sleep so they can burn off some steam. That's when I noticed that she would walk away from the toy and hiss under her breath. It wasn't a full blown hiss but a short little one. She then proceeded to do this about 3 times. My other cat wasn't bothering her, there was nothing new in the environment and she was acting normal all day but does this mean anything?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could she just have been panting? My kittens get like that towards the end of an active play session, and it's only to be expected in young cats (however, it's not a good sign in middle aged or senior kitties).

My guys growl at their toys too, though I've never known them hiss. Growling or hissing at toys is generally a sign of a high prey drive, and/or being really into the game :jump:

In either case, it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parziaval

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright. Thanks for the help :)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she could have been hissing. My six year old female hisses at her toys or the walls all the time when she is playing hard. She is a totally timid cat in real life but in her playtime she likes to act tough.