Hip Problem?

kimfdj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

A bit of background: a feral cat showed up in my yard almost two years ago. I tried to befriend her so I could get her spayed. She got pregnant before I could do so. I started to feed her kitten food when I realized she was pregnant as all that she had before was whatever critters she could catch. She was very skinny. She gave birth to three adorable kittens in my garage and has been an inside cat ever since. My mother kept two of the kittens and I kept the remaining kitten and momma cat. They have all been neutered and were fed very high quality food for the first year of their lives. They are all very sweet, spoiled babies that are almost 20 months old (vet thinks Momma is about three now - she was just a baby herself.)

In January, Zeke, the third baby started limping. He limped for a few days but appetite was ok, etc. One morning he jumped off of the bathroom counter and started screaming and crying. Mom rushed him to the vet and he had fractured his hip. He had emergency surgery and after a long recovery is back to his old self.

Two days ago, Gracie, the first baby started to limp. Her limp varies throughout the day - sometimes bad and sometimes hardly noticeable. Her appetite is good and she is active. I’m likely going to take her to the vet this week for an X-ray but does this sound like it could be something genetic? Should we be worried about the other kitty as well? If she hasn’t fractured it, are there other courses of treatment other than surgery?

Thanks for any input.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think the sooner you can get Gracie to the vet the better especially since you do not know if she has a fracture or not. If she's limping she is obviously in some degree of discomfort and the vet can recommend the appropriate treatment.

Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way for Gracie. :vibes::vibes: Please keep us posted after your vet visit. Best of luck. :alright:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that they have a genetic weakness, or they may need more of certain type of food, or minerals in their diet? Maybe talk to the vet about this when you take her in.

Sending you guys best thoughts and wishes that the baby is fine :) do keep us updated!