Hind end injury

stormrunner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! So my baby boy Pepé Le Pew got himself into some trouble a couple weeks ago- he was an indoor/outdoor cat (used to be pure outdoor until his brother passed)- he ran off on us after dinner and there was a nasty storm that same night.
He was gone for nearly a week, we figured someone had him because it was nasty the week he was gone, but my instincts were telling me something was wrong from the stormy night on. He came home with his rear gashed open, from about an inch above the base of his tail down to just below where their belly sits when they're not overweight. His anus was gotten, but his privates were left in tact. He was singed and his paws were burnt. Best we can figure is he was in a shed when it got hit by lightning and caught fire, then someone had him to take care of him. He wasn't in pain when he came home and he was way too clean to have been outside the whole week, though his wound smelled a little, it wasn't an infection smell. He probably escaped on them knowing we were preparing to move. Thankfully mom has pain meds we knew were safe for him so when he started feeling it, we were able to safely dose him. We treated his wounds with betidine rinse only twice because of the high salt content and I was already giving him Pedialyte because he was dehydrated according to the tent test I did on him. We also applied bacitracin and left the wound undressed to breathe and heal from the inside out.
Now he looks great on his wounds! For being only a week and a half to two weeks since his accident, he looks amazing! His wound is nearly healed, the skin is pulling over to cover so he only has an inch and a half open length and an inch width exposed flesh! He was such a good boy traveling too, he traveled in a laundry basket on my lap and let me know when he needed his pain meds, especially when the roads got bouncy.
My biggest concern now is that he's constipated, won't take his medicine (though he's still eating, not sure about drinking), and he cries every time he passes the tiny stool and has some bleeding from the healing anus.
I'm giving him canned pumpkin for his constipation which I had just started today (seemed to maybe help a little already?) but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the bleeding is normal for the healing? Or any other advice to help out? I don't want to put the pain meds in his pumpkin either since he trusts it to not knock him into the dopey state like the soft food... I intend to call the vet Monday and see if I can get any info as to if there's any more I can do for him here at home or if she has a program that can get us in cheaper than normal because we can't afford it :(
My old boy Pumpkin is being such a sweetheart and helping me watch over him at night because he knows I worry. He's become like a big brother to Pepè. It warms my heart, considering they used to compete for the closest spot on my chest to my face and glare at each other over it too. They went from the green eyed monsters to big brother and little brother [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Any advice would be much appreciated, as Pepé is under a year and the sweetest, most tolerant and trusting thing I have ever met. He's secure in my arms and I'm the only one that can handle him right now that he's hurt basically. Thanks guys!

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all! So my baby boy Pepé Le Pew got himself into some trouble a couple weeks ago- he was an indoor/outdoor cat (used to be pure outdoor until his brother passed)- he ran off on us after dinner and there was a nasty storm that same night.
He was gone for nearly a week, we figured someone had him because it was nasty the week he was gone, but my instincts were telling me something was wrong from the stormy night on. He came home with his rear gashed open, from about an inch above the base of his tail down to just below where their belly sits when they're not overweight. His anus was gotten, but his privates were left in tact. He was singed and his paws were burnt. Best we can figure is he was in a shed when it got hit by lightning and caught fire, then someone had him to take care of him. He wasn't in pain when he came home and he was way too clean to have been outside the whole week, though his wound smelled a little, it wasn't an infection smell. He probably escaped on them knowing we were preparing to move. Thankfully mom has pain meds we knew were safe for him so when he started feeling it, we were able to safely dose him. We treated his wounds with betidine rinse only twice because of the high salt content and I was already giving him Pedialyte because he was dehydrated according to the tent test I did on him. We also applied bacitracin and left the wound undressed to breathe and heal from the inside out.
Now he looks great on his wounds! For being only a week and a half to two weeks since his accident, he looks amazing! His wound is nearly healed, the skin is pulling over to cover so he only has an inch and a half open length and an inch width exposed flesh! He was such a good boy traveling too, he traveled in a laundry basket on my lap and let me know when he needed his pain meds, especially when the roads got bouncy.
My biggest concern now is that he's constipated, won't take his medicine (though he's still eating, not sure about drinking), and he cries every time he passes the tiny stool and has some bleeding from the healing anus.
I'm giving him canned pumpkin for his constipation which I had just started today (seemed to maybe help a little already?) but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the bleeding is normal for the healing? Or any other advice to help out? I don't want to put the pain meds in his pumpkin either since he trusts it to not knock him into the dopey state like the soft food... I intend to call the vet Monday and see if I can get any info as to if there's any more I can do for him here at home or if she has a program that can get us in cheaper than normal because we can't afford it

Bleeding is not a normal healing process!  I am a human doctor, not a vet and you should take Pepé Le Pew to your vet as soon as possible because his pain on defaecation, together with bleeding, suggests a laceration of his anus.  This is something that you should NOT try to treat yourself.

With all best wishes,

Geoffrey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormrunner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I'm looking at him right now and deciding it's time for him to go in. Mom and I have helped him all that we can at home, it's time to let the actual vets work on him to make sure he gets out of this okay. Monday morning is when the vet office opens again, I've just gotta help him through tomorrow and tomorrow night.
Goodbye sleep, but it's worth it if he gets through. I just hope he'll take his pain meds...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormrunner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I called the vet last Monday, the bleeding was very mild and had stopped only ten minutes after he had passed a pretty large amount of stool. She assured me that since he was on opioids, it's normal that his constipation caused some bleeding. She assured me we were doing just fine for him and so long as there's no excessive amount of bleeding and his constipation doesn't get worse, he can stay home safely! She did recommend we continue to let him come off the pain meds if he doesn't seem to want them anymore.
So, now he has only a 1/4" wide by 1/2" gap left of his gash yet to heal over with skin, his anus looks almost back to normal besides the irritation when he passes stool, and his constipation has gone down! Still suffers constipation, but we use both milk, which acts much like a laxative for cats and pumpkin combined. Spoiled brat still turns his nose up at it sometimes but he seems to be learning that when he does, he has more problems. The medicine seems to be finally leaving his system, so his constipation should continue to get better! He's much more active walking around the house, and has enjoyed three outings... As to which he's grounded from outings until Tuesday because he jumped the property wall and I had to go fetch him... [emoji]128580[/emoji] He'll be wearing a harness that'll be shackled to my wrist from now on lol that little booger isn't going to leave my sight again as long as I can help it!!
Anyways, all seems to be well, he doesn't puke from the constipation anymore and he seems to be a happy little champ! I still standby through the nights to make sure he doesn't change for the worse, and have the vet in speed dial like any worrisome pet parent, but I'm confident this little fighter will be up and causing more trouble than he already is in no time!