Hill's Prescription D/D

paprikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys,

I haven't posted here in a long time. My cat Paprika has always been a sensitive kitty and when I took her to the vet 3 months ago, she forced me to put her on a prescription diet for Hill's D/D dry. The problem is, the ingredients don't look that great in the hills but it did stop her diarrhea problem, as long as I give her a 1/8 cup at a time, 6-8 times a day. I'm just worried she's not getting her nutritional content. Is it ok to feed this for the long term. She is a 4 year old, lynx point long haired cat.

Ingredients:

Ground Yellow Peas, Pea Protein Concentrate, Duck, Ground Green Peas, Pork Fat, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Sulfate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Choline Chloride, DL -Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Glyceryl Monostearate, Iodized Salt, Potassium Sulfate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Dicalcium Phosphate, Cysteine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Natural Flavor.

I basically tried everything, from extremely high end to lower end (Authority Sensitive dry food and Tiki Chicken was awesome but her problems started again), pumpkin, raw food, and Paprika is such a picky eater that I'm afraid I'll starve her if I give her wet food because she doesn't even sniff it! 

Thanks for any input!

-Paprikitty

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted here in a long time. My cat Paprika has always been a sensitive kitty and when I took her to the vet 3 months ago, she forced me to put her on a prescription diet for Hill's D/D dry. The problem is, the ingredients don't look that great in the hills but it did stop her diarrhea problem, as long as I give her a 1/8 cup at a time, 6-8 times a day. I'm just worried she's not getting her nutritional content. Is it ok to feed this for the long term. She is a 4 year old, lynx point long haired cat.

Ingredients:

Ground Yellow Peas, Pea Protein Concentrate, Duck, Ground Green Peas, Pork Fat, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Sulfate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Choline Chloride, DL -Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Glyceryl Monostearate, Iodized Salt, Potassium Sulfate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Dicalcium Phosphate, Cysteine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Natural Flavor.

I basically tried everything, from extremely high end to lower end (Authority Sensitive dry food and Tiki Chicken was awesome but her problems started again), pumpkin, raw food, and Paprika is such a picky eater that I'm afraid I'll starve her if I give her wet food because she doesn't even sniff it! 

Thanks for any input!

-Paprikitty
I am certainly not an expert on pet nutrition but I believe even the RX foods are complete with adequate nutrition ..  If the food fixed your cats medical issue and she is doing well on it why not stay with it ..

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, do they make a canned food and would she eat it? I'm not liking that it has so much peas and pea protein in it. Have you tried feeding her canned or raw food? Would you be open to feeding raw food? I know there are some freeze-dried foods that are already done if you'd rather not make it yourself. Let me find a link for you. http://www.thecatsite.com/f/65/raw-home-cooked-cat-food

I mention raw food as I make my own for my cat Cookie, as when he has any dry or canned food he gets very loose stools. It was so very bad and nothing could be done about it. Rx food, regular food, canned, dry. No luck. I did come across Dr. Pierson's site and it helped us immensely. I read up on everything, bought a grinder and the supplements, so for about 4 months, he's been a happy, well kitty. 

Here's a link to Dr. Piersons recipe. http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood  I will admit it was a little bit of a learning curve to it, as I grind my own bone and everything, but once I got past the icky factor of it, all's been good. Especially for Cookie. 

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From your post it sounds like Paprika is on hills d/d for digestive issues as opposed to skin issues. Is that right?

When I got Asha she had digestive issues, and was put onto Royal Canin Gastrointestinal pouches. The ingredients aren't fantastic, but they're a lot better than the Hills dry she's on now. It might be worth a try - Shadow (the pickiest cat you can imagine) started begging for Asha's gastrointestinal food and went nuts for it. :jaw: He won't touch other wet veterinary diets (he had crystals years ago and we had to try to get the s/o into him - not easy...refused it point blank by the 3rd day), and rejects almost all other wet (or dry, for that matter) foods, and won't even look at raw. We currently have a list of maybe 8-10 foods he'll deign to eat sometimes. He's got a current favourite (Thrive Complete), but we have no idea how long it will last.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. Hills D/D comes in two canned versions:

http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-dd-feline-skin-support-duck-formula-canned.html

http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-dd-feliine-skin-support-venison-formula-canned.html

But OP says her cat won't touch canned:

D/D looks like a limited ingredient food. Have you tried non-prescription limited ingredient foods such as Natural Balance and Nature's Variety?

D/D doesn't have the best ingredients but if it's helping with your cat's diarrhea issue then that's all that really matters
Yes/ D/D is a complete diet. A long time ago the prescription foods were for intermittent feeding only but now they are ok to feed daily.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

paprikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks for all your replies! I've given her pre-made raw food which she didn't eat and I'm afraid to invest in a lot of money and time for the raw food because I feel like with her track record, she's not going to eat that either. 
 Plus, her vet recommended against the raw anyway. 

I'm not a huge fan of the pea protein, that's why I was concerned. It's helping her tummy problems but I don't know if its a balanced enough diet for her. I have tried both Natural Balance and Nature's Variety as well as Orijen, Blue Buffalo, and the list goes on lol. Hopefully one day I can have enough will power to buy a grinder and start making my kitty some raw food. Thanks for all of your suggestions!