Highlander kitten ?

green-eyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I bought a kitten from a lady the other day that claims he is a seal point Highlandei never saw the parents only these pics and she said his mom is 16 pounds has curled ears ,normal feet and a short tail and the dad is 20 pounds straight ears, polydactyl feet and short tail...then there's my kitten Romeo who has straight ears ,normal feet and long tail so im not sure he is whst they said ...what do you think ? Shes,saying he will get up to 20lbs but uduslly rakes 3 yrs ......

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

green-eyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya thats why i fell in love with this breed there fun and playful love water and love cuddling ..this is the most playful and affectionate kitten i have ever owned i just hope hes a highlander or else i just paid alot for a random kitten lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont know enough of highlanders to say much this or that.  But he looks young to be 12 weeks, which is the usual for serious breeders to sell their kittens. Some even do it at 16 weeks...

Several years ago you could find catteries whom sold at 10 weeks, but I think this is abondoned even by them,  into minimum 12 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green-eyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya hes only 6 weeks says all her cats are mature enough to leave there mon ...i must say he uses the litter box like a pro and is a great eater and already caught him using the scratch post a times ...he has a check up with my vet on mon to sed if everything looks ok

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did he come with papers/a pedigree?

If he did, I'd assume the breeders were telling the truth, but I will say that it is odd that you weren't allowed to meet the parents?

And yeah, some cats take to weaning very quickly. When we rescued our kitten, Tesla (who was dumped on the side of our busy road) he was only 6 weeks old, but after we brought him inside, he immediately ate 3 bowls of wet food (he was starving! The poor thing :( ) and he was clearly litter trained because once we showed him where the box was, he knew exactly what to do, lol.

The reason why kittens should be kept with their momma and siblings for 12 weeks is because that is how they learn "manners" like bite-inhibition and how to socialize with other cats.

Our Tesla had a MAJOR problem with biting, but, with the help of our other 2 cats, we were able to teach him that biting like that is not okay (don't worry no physical punishments, only yelling NO or OUCH and then getting up and ignoring him). He is now a very smart and well-trained little 6 month old kitty :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a little breed history which may clarify things a bit:

Desert Lynx, Highland Lynx, Alpine Lynx, and Mohave Bobs are part of the Desert Lynx breed group in the Rare & Exotic Feline Registry. In other words, Mohave Bobs, Highland Lynx, Desert Lynx, and Alpine Lynx may be bred together, with offspring registered as follows:

All white kittens (including straight and curled coats and straight or curled ears) are 

registered as Alpine Lynx.

All non-white kittens with curled coats are registered as Mohave Bobs.

All non-white kittens with straight coats and straight ears are registered as Desert 

Lynx..

All non-white kittens with straight coats and curled ears are registered as Highland

Lynx.

The curled ears of the Highland Lynx are caused by a dominant gene which both curls the ears and somewhat reduces the size of the ears. When these breeds are bred together, the straight-eared kittens resulting from the breeding do not carry any genes for curled ears. 

Non-white kittens do not carry the gene for white color. Therefore, breeders wishing to work with Desert Lynx only would not have to worry about getting curled-eared recessive genes in Desert Lynx who have Highland Lynx in their ancestry. Breeders not wishing to work with the Alpine Lynx would not have to worry about white kittens as long as neither parent is an Alpine Lynx.  

The curled coat is caused by a dominant gene. Breeders not wishing to work with Mohave Bobs do not have to worry about this as long as neither of the parents have curled coats.

These breeds are identical in body type.  

*There are several breeds of cats whose origins are speculated to be intertwined with the bobcat. The most common ones are the Pixie Bob and those breeds in the Desert Lynx breed group (Desert Lynx, Highland Lynx, Mohave Bob, and Alpine Lynx). It is important to note that DNA testing on these cats has failed to show positve results for the presence of bobcat DNA. There is no evidence of feral ancestry in these cats. 

http://www.highlanderbreedsection.com/

http://www.homeofthehighlander.com/

HIGHLANDER

http://www.idlca.com/history.htm

http://rareandexoticfelinereg.homestead.com/breed_DLX.html

DESERT LYNX

@StefanZ, you will probably be fascinated by this "Rare and Exotic Feline Registry"

http://rareandexoticfelinereg.homestead.com/Featured_Breeds.html

luvmylilypad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You will be able to tell which your kitten is by its registry. Only TICA (the international cat association ) has a Highlander Breed. They can have any ears , feet or tail and still considered a Highlander standard or non standard. Now if your beautiful baby is registered with REFR (rare and exotic feline registry ) your babies breed is based on traits as someone listed above. So if your breeder registered TICA he's a highlander, if they registered REFR he's a desert lynx because of straight ears. EITHER WAY 6 weeks is way to young to remove the baby. They learn lot from mama during those times. Our do not go out until the minimum of 11 weeks and never under 12 if they have to travel. Best of luck to your handsome guy!