Higher Education

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that's a great idea. I am in my early 30s and still in school but hopefully not for too many more years. DH and I have been students for too long but we both get paid some, so it's not too bad. My mother was school teacher for 15 years and went back to school in her late 40s-early 50s to get a PhD (which take a loooonnngg time in the humanities/ social sciences) and finished and she did extremely well. Yes, there were some unique challenges she faced but they were easy to overcome.

There are a couple of things that I would suggest, something that I suggest to my students/ potential students (as part of my degree I have to teach undergrads at a university): Firstly, choose your major wisely, if you are looking towards a change in career and something that will be relatively lucrative. I am in a field which is not and neither is my mothers. My mother was pretty set in her career and what she wanted to do was to go higher up in the same field. However, since her field is not very "hot" in the job scenario, she is having trouble finding a suitable job in this economy when Universities are not hiring. My field is not that great in the job market either, but I really enjoy what I do and so I am ready to take a hit there. So decide why you want to degree (for a better career or something that you want to do for your personal achievement and want to enjoy- and they may not be mutually exclusive).
Secondly, try auditing a course at the local community college and get the feel of it. Approach a professor who teaches a smaller class and ask to audit. You may have to pay a nominal fee and do some paperwork. Do all the school work and get the hang of going back to school before you commit yourself. If they do not allow anyone to audit, ask to take a course as a non-degree seeking student. You will have to pay the fees for that course, though, but once you decide to enroll, those credits can be transferred to add towards your degree.
WIsh you all the best!

Edit: Did not realize what an old thread this is till strange_wings pointed it out. Hopefully the OP made the choice that suite her/ him.