High Temperature In Cat

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm new to this, so please bare with me. My 3 year old cat has had fever for around 2 days now. She had explosive dirrohea couple days prior to that so we have her medication for it from a local vet shop. It stopped and she was absolutely fine, eating and drinking and moving. A day ago she stopped walking so much and slept almost the entire day, and we managed to find a vet that will treat her since we couldn't afford to. Anyway, she was on IV for about 24 hours and started to become more alert and moving around more, but still sleepy. Her temperature was around 106 when we arrived at the vets and dropped to around 103/102 When she was discharged. The problem is we cannot afford anymore treatment and we still don't know what the issue is. She seems to be better as she is eating and drinking (a little). She's putting and affectionate, but still sleepy. I'm sorry I'm rambling on, but we have no idea what to do. We have spent 700 pound on jist basic consultation, the stay, IV And antibiotics. She's been taking CLARITHROMYCIN a quater of a tablet a day. She also keeps licking her bottom area a lot, but that's about it. Please, any help at all. We have no idea what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't of much help, but I will say that the diarrhea might have caused her behind to a bit irritated, causing the excess licking. Has the diarrhea stopped? And, how many days is she due to be on the antibiotics? What did the vet tell you to look for in terms of improvement or lack of improvement?

That was a very high temperature and probably took a toll on her energy level. If you have a pediatric rectal thermometer, it might be a good idea to check on her temp to make sure it is staying down. You don't want it to go that high again. I have included an article about fevers in cats that includes instructions on how to take a cat's temperature.

It would appear to be an infection of some sort - hence the antibiotics. But, there will be no way to know until additional tests can be run. Monitor her for continued improvement and if you suspect any further issues, you are going to have to consult with a vet about it.

Get her to drink as much as you possibly can. That will help with keeping the fever down. Add, some water from canned tuna to her water if need be. And, make sure you can get her to eat with the antibiotic - just like humans, antibiotics are less bothersome to the stomach if they are taken with food. If she is not eating enough of her own food, bribe her with some human food, such as the canned tuna, or chicken, low-sodium deli turkey, even baby foods (meat without additives, like onions/garlic).

Fevers in Cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I can't of much help, but I will say that the diarrhea might have caused her behind to a bit irritated, causing the excess licking. Has the diarrhea stopped? And, how many days is she due to be on the antibiotics? What did the vet tell you to look for in terms of improvement or lack of improvement?

That was a very high temperature and probably took a toll on her energy level. If you have a pediatric rectal thermometer, it might be a good idea to check on her temp to make sure it is staying down. You don't want it to go that high again. I have included an article about fevers in cats that includes instructions on how to take a cat's temperature.

It would appear to be an infection of some sort - hence the antibiotics. But, there will be no way to know until additional tests can be run. Monitor her for continued improvement and if you suspect any further issues, you are going to have to consult with a vet about it.

Get her to drink as much as you possibly can. That will help with keeping the fever down. Add, some water from canned tuna to her water if need be. And, make sure you can get her to eat with the antibiotic - just like humans, antibiotics are less bothersome to the stomach if they are taken with food. If she is not eating enough of her own food, bribe her with some human food, such as the canned tuna, or chicken, low-sodium deli turkey, even baby foods (meat without additives, like onions/garlic).

Fevers in Cats
Thank you so much for your reply. She's supposed be on them for about a week and there's like 5 days left. I also got the antibiotic wrong with mine - it's metrobactin 62.5mg x 2 per day if anyone had an idea about the medicine. The diarrhea has stopped, it only lasted the whole day and then a little into the next. We were basically told by the vet that she needs to be eating and drinking like you said, but movement and being alert is a good sign. She is doing so, but still sleepy. Unfortunately they didn't give her a collar to stop her licking her bottom, hopefully that isn't why she is I'll. Hopefully it goes down because it terrible seeing her like this. She is much better than she started off, despite being tired. She's reacting to her favourite treats and eating slowly and drinking more. Just fingers crossed. Will try to get hold on a thermometer. Thanks so much

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The normal range for a cat's temperature is 100.4º to 102.5º, so unless her temp has risen since she left the vet's, she may be on the high side, but still would be considered OK. Assuming it is an infection that caused the high temperature, then the antibiotic should help. The med you mentioned has a fairly broad use for bacterial infections, one of which is gastrointestinal.

Just keep an eye on her to ensure she continually improves throughout the duration of the antibiotics, and watch her carefully with regard to the excessive licking of her bottom. You might want to call the vet to ask if there is an OTC med you could apply to help with that.

Is she less sleepy now?

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The normal range for a cat's temperature is 100.4º to 102.5º, so unless her temp has risen since she left the vet's, she may be on the high side, but still would be considered OK. Assuming it is an infection that caused the high temperature, then the antibiotic should help. The med you mentioned has a fairly broad use for bacterial infections, one of which is gastrointestinal.

Just keep an eye on her to ensure she continually improves throughout the duration of the antibiotics, and watch her carefully with regard to the excessive licking of her bottom. You might want to call the vet to ask if there is an OTC med you could apply to help with that.

Is she less sleepy now?
Yes she is less sleepy. My mother was watching her all day and she's been eating a lot more and drinking too. She even had enough energy to tell off the other cat for being annoying haha. She's been moving a fair amount, but still recovering by the looks of things. Will mention what you said to the vet and I think she needs a collar to stop her from licking. Thanks a lot for the reply

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's more like it, didn't like the idea of the cone as it might distress her. Thank you!