High protein diet safe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blitzgal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I'm getting worried now because she has thrown up every day this week (starting Sunday). Now, it's only been one full day since I put the Royal Canin HE back out. It's midnight right now and she just got up to throw up again. There are carrots from the Merrick's Thanksgiving Dinner in it that she ate around 5 PM when my first cat didn't finish his whole portion (and a tiny hairball but again, she shouldn't be throwing up every day). I've sat up with her a little bit tonight and she's not pulling the stuff she did when she was ill (hiding, guarding her stomach, excessive licking her chops from nausea) and she appears completely alert. She's also talking back to me and purring when I talk to her, which is something else she stops doing when she feels sick. Aww, and she just chattered at me and got up on my lap as I'm sitting here at the computer. Another great sign.

I guess maybe hold off the wet food and just do the intestinal HE until her stomach gets sorted out?? She never threw up this much the first time she got the HE. And they've only been off the HE for two weeks. (They were transitioning over to BG for three weeks before that so getting a mix of that and HE).

What are some grain, fruit and veggie free wet foods? Even Wellness has fruit/veggies in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blitzgal

Yeah, I'm getting worried now because she has thrown up every day this week (starting Sunday). Now, it's only been one full day since I put the Royal Canin HE back out. It's midnight right now and she just got up to throw up again. There are carrots from the Merrick's Thanksgiving Dinner in it that she ate around 5 PM when my first cat didn't finish his whole portion. I've sat up with her a little bit tonight and she's not pulling the stuff she did when she was ill (hiding, guarding her stomach, excessive licking her chops from nausea) and she appears completely alert. She's also talking back to me and purring when I talk to her, which is something else she stops doing when she feels sick.

I guess maybe hold off the wet food and just do the intestinal HE until her stomach gets sorted out??
Yes... see for her HE is like a medicine... and though many on here think they know what is best , truely you and your vet need to decide that
... I would call and get an appt just in case the vomiting is not food related

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there - give her some time... I would also strongly advise to call the vet, or go in...
I would also advise to remove everything else from her diet from now, and leave her only on Intestinal HE... Remember - A diet is only as good as it works for your cat... Don't get hang up on "what is good" and what is not good"... If what works for her is HE, so then that is it! I saw the page, and didn't see if it can be used long term... Something to be worked out with your vet...
Quite frankly, IMHO, I think with your kitties condition the right place to discuss this is in the vet's office... Your cat has likely a medical condition, and a regular diet will not be good for her....
Listen to your kitty and to your vet...

blitzgal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I'm waiting for 8 AM for my vet's office to open. The frustrating thing with them is that they keep just throwing her on antibiotics. She's been on them three times this year. However, there is no diarrhea this time. Her stool is totally normal. The daily vomiting isn't something she had before, so I'll give them a call and see what they say.

I'm going to talk to my vet about IBD. We mentioned it the last time I had her stool tested in September. They'll probably want to do another blood test to rule out things like hyperthyroid and diabetes. She had a senior blood screen in June as part of her routine physical examination, however. And her stool has been tested for parasites three times this year.

Her symptoms sound a lot like what I'm reading about IBD in cats.

**I got her an appointment at four this afternoon. She hasn't had a blood test since February so they'll likely want to do another one. I saw on several other threads where people discovered masses in their animals so I definitely want her examined to see if anything else is going on. And I'll discuss dietary issues and the possibility that she has IBD. I think if I give this food a chance she'll do better on it because the first time they were on the Royal Canin HE she only had a weekly hairball, no diarrhea, and no other vomiting.

My year old baby Mose on the other hand is doing well with his transition to canned food. I'm not pushing him too fast on it, but I could see him potentially getting most of his calories from canned food in the future.

My question regarding him is -- should I still focus on grain free canned food for him even though he hasn't shown any health issues? And if so, what brands offer grain free? He's been eating Wellness and Merrick's canned, but those have fruits and veggies. Sorry for the long post. Because I have a young cat I want to make sure I set him up on the best diet for the long run.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grain free wet is something to discuss with your vet ... I have had one who did raw / canned with those issues but I STRONGLY caution doing that under a VETS care... I suggest your find and print off the ingredients plus the % profiles ie fat , protein of cans your looking at

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the little one, if he is healthy, I do like grain free - same good brands: Wellness (turkey and chicken, if I recall correctly are grain free), EVO, Natural Balance, BG (but this only to complement with a dry diet), ziwipeak, Taste of the wild, Tiki Cat...
To be honest, I wouldn't be too paranoid about cutting veggies, and fruit, and this, and that, and everything else in the world... Cutting the grains, the by-products and the chemical preservatives and colorants you are giving them IMHO a healthy healthy diet...
Good luck!!

blitzgal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank everyone for being so supportive today. I was frankly a little hysterical with worry. But when I got home today Sophie hadn't vomited while I was gone, a marked improvement. They've been on the HE for a full day now.

Went to the vet, and she hasn't lost weight, her heart sounded good, her intestines felt normal upon physical examination, and the vet found no adverse issues with her. She advised that I stick with the HE and see how it goes. She also said that Sophie could have had a mild bit of IBS or digestive issues her whole life -- she has been a hairball puker ever since I got her at the age of two. They're going to look into ordering the HE wet for me but until then I need to keep her on a single food with no extras, treats, etc. Sounds good to me.

And Sharky, you are totally right to say that it's worth it trying to talk to vets about these issues because they might be more open minded than you think. The vet told me that she has become disenchanted with Hills, and has stopped feeding it to her dog. They changed their formula apparently and they now have ingredients that she's been telling her clients to avoid for years! Her dog also has a sensitive digestive system, so she's been dealing with similar issues that I have.

Anyway, this forum is awesome!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you can create treats...lol.. use the dry HE in a serparte bottle for treats

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blitzgal

I want to thank everyone for being so supportive today. I was frankly a little hysterical with worry. But when I got home today Sophie hadn't vomited while I was gone, a marked improvement. They've been on the HE for a full day now.

Went to the vet, and she hasn't lost weight, her heart sounded good, her intestines felt normal upon physical examination, and the vet found no adverse issues with her. She advised that I stick with the HE and see how it goes. She also said that Sophie could have had a mild bit of IBS or digestive issues her whole life -- she has been a hairball puker ever since I got her at the age of two. They're going to look into ordering the HE wet for me but until then I need to keep her on a single food with no extras, treats, etc. Sounds good to me.

And Sharky, you are totally right to say that it's worth it trying to talk to vets about these issues because they might be more open minded than you think. The vet told me that she has become disenchanted with Hills, and has stopped feeding it to her dog. They changed their formula apparently and they now have ingredients that she's been telling her clients to avoid for years! Her dog also has a sensitive digestive system, so she's been dealing with similar issues that I have.

Anyway, this forum is awesome!
Hi there - how is little Sophie doing? Any updates?