High protein diet for ragdolls

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our breeder told us to limit very high protein content like weruva or tiki cat wet food because rag dolls have sensitive tummy. Told us to feed Purina pro plan dry or wet food. We thought high protein, grain free is good quality food. Any thoughts on ragdoll owners?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I think that if you were to utilize several brands and varieties of food for your cat(s) you'll be better able to deal with manufacturer recipe and ingredient changes (which can cause stomach upset or eating issues) and also avoid possible cat boredom from having the same food repeatedly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our breeder told us ragdolls can’t tolerate high protein diet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I understand that, however cats digestive systems aren't different from breed to breed. Double-check with your vet about this, or a nutritionist :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd ask the vet or a veterinary nutritionist about diet for ragdolls. Many breeders insist on feeding certain things for whatever reason but it's not always what is best or ideal. It's ok to disagree with the breeder about food and to feed whatever you want :) You can contact other ragdoll breeders and ask what they recommend feeding.

Some breeds are prone to digestive issues. Most issues seem to be caused by irritation from filler ingredients or a particular protein. Chicken is known to cause digestive issues in some cats while novel proteins like rabbit are less likely to cause issues.

I found these that may be helpful:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as following your own breeder's recommendations, versus conflicting recommendations from another source, for me a lot of this would depend on the breeder and their experience level.

Some breeders with many years experience may in fact have very valuable recommendations, based on what has worked for their own cats and other cats in that bloodline. Cats all have similar digestive systems in most ways... but some breeds and bloodlines may have a tendency towards food sensitivities, metabolic differences (more or less weight gain on different foods), predispositions towards illness that can be helped or harmed by food choices, etc.

In this case I would ask the breeder for more information -- what sort of problems had they seen before on cats eating a "high protein" diet? They might have useful knowledge to share. Or on the other hand they might just be passing on some rumors they heard.

I wouldn't listen to any breeder that tells you their cats must be kept on only one specified food or brand, though.